I'm depressed because my 2.5 year old dd doesn't like me anymore...why?

For the past week, she has been acting like a predator. She doesn't listen when I call her. She says "no" all the time. Yesterday, she ran away from me at the drug store. I'm tired of dealing with this behavior day in and day out. Today, after I fixed her lunch, she told me to "go". And she pushed me away. Why doesn't she like me?

I understand that 2 year olds can be temperamental, and push boundaries, but this is ridiculous. I correct her on her behavior, but it's exhausting.

I ask her dad (who doesn't live with us) to watch her so I can get some time to myself, but he doesn't want to deal with her behavior either. I don't have any family or friends in this town.

Do you have any advice you could give me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• Sounds like a typical two year old. She'll outgrow it. Don't take it personally.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 3:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• The only advice I can give you is this: She is 2.5! There are no explanation on why children act crazy sometimes.. other than it's their nature. They go through trials and tribulations. You have to learn to overlook it and focus on the factor that this little creature is YOURS. She is your responsibility. Your daughter. How you react, how you behave, how you treat her, will affect everything in her life. You are molding her. So, be a mom. Realize, they are not always your friend. Continue to love her, treat her with "kid gloves" and take care of her. At this age, it's time to start setting boundaries and rules. Set up a discipline plan and stay consistent. This is her way of testing you, so to speak.

Good luck Mom. It's a tough job!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• They don't call it terrible two's for nothing :( But like the pp said, she'll grow out of it.
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 3:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• first, try not to take it personally... do you play games with her? watch cartoons with her or try to have some quality one on one time with her like going to the park?

my son treats me like that when my sister is around...sometimes he acts like that when my husband is around, too. it bothers me but i try not to show it.
    sunnymommy122

Answer by sunnymommy122 at 3:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Welcome to the beginning of terrorizing 3's. Sorry to tell you but this is just how toddlers are. My son is the EXACT same way. It's No Mommy, Go away..and so forth. Its just a matter of patience and I know they push it to the limits till your telling urself to breath 50 times a day..lol. It's not that she doesnt like you shes just learning how to be individual and do things on her own and to push boundries..Just take it one step at a time. You just have to stand your ground and let her no that disobeying you is not acceptable behavior. My son doesnt listen at all..Everything is no. It's hard because he exhausts me from punishing him..which never works..nothing works and ive tried EVERYTHING. I just have to trudge forward. Just remember you arent the only mom going threw this!! Good Luck hun! and as for her father refusing to watch her..thats him just being a jerk. tell him You deserve some time to yourself just like he does!
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 3:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Sounds like you hit the terrible twos :) sorry :) You are right they push boundaries and can be tempermental...especially girls...lol.

Dont let it get to you emotions...she loves you...you are her mom! You are the most important person in the world right now to her.

My first advice would be to STAY CONSISTENT in your discipline. I always keep one rule in mind when I my kids mistreat me......I discipline them the same way that I would if they mistreated a stranger or other family member...I am no different, I deserve respect and you have to teach it....In fact, as the mother, I DEMAND more respect...

Of course at 2.5 you are in the teaching phase...so as tiring as it is....keep it up, and when she is older....she will have learned how to treat those that she loves :) GOOD LUCK MOM!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Sorry hun, this is a two year old! There is not a lot that can be done. I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old and one on the way and I can tell you it gets better. Do you have any childcares near you that have drop in care? Maybe she needs someone ELSE to play with besides mommy.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 3:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• And he should take some responsibility and help you. That shes just being a toddler and he needs to learn also how to deal with it. again good luck and she'll grow outta it it! your doing a good job!
    SweetPoison

• Don't take it personally, kids dont have the ability to know what hate it. Thats typical 2 yr old behavior for most. For now just adjust how you do things and let her have a tiny bit more responsibility in her life. If she says go then go. If she doesn't want you to feed her then don't until she asks. Join a moms group in your area and make some new friends (her too). Friends can be a god send when you have a toddler. Just know it's ok to discipline her for major infractions and let the rest go. There are many different stages to growing up and this is just one of them. This too shall pass.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• It's NOT that she doesn't like you. Put that OUT of your head. She's a two year old... if she hasn't yet told you she hates you, you should know that's coming too and will be repeated often. And if you're really doing the job right, you'll be told you're mean. EMBRACE THAT. It means you're doing it all right.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2011