How can i get the dog to stop chewing the fence in the yard?

elseinutah1

Asked by elseinutah1 at 3:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Pets

• Get him something he will like, we give ours Sirloin bones, they aren't the kind that are rawhide, they're actually real bones. It might help occupy his time.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Give him something else to chew on. Or only let him outside long enough to do business and then bring him back in.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 3:07 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I have to work from 7:30 till about 2:30 and he is in the yard. We have toys and bones and my other dog out there with him,... he eats everything...you name it he has probably eaten it.
    elseinutah1

Comment by elseinutah1 (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• No offense, but he's chewing the fence because he doesn't like being outside all day.
    Anonymous

• Can you not keep the dog inside?
    I have no idea, maybe there is something you can put on the fence that will taste bad?
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I am sure he doesnt like it but I have no other choice... I have a door open for him to go in and out of the yard and the garage. He has his toys and bed in the garage along with his food and blankets. I work 5 days a week...k My kids are with him till 8:00 in the morning...my son on Wednesdays is home at 12:25...I am home by 2:30 at the latest... Just recently noticed he was also chewing the side of the door frame.. I put up metal sides up to protect it.. he is only 1 year old. my chihuahua is back there too....she is 5 and plays wiht him well...
    elseinutah1

Comment by elseinutah1 (original poster) at 3:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Mix together in a spray bottle all the spice stuff you can find. Hot sauces and toss in some nasty smelling vinegar then spray it on the fence to make him not want to get near it. You might have to play with the mixture to find something the dog really does not like. Or you can buy dog replant sprays. I have done that to keep my dog out of the flower bed and garden. Also stuff the toys or even stuff and freeze the toys. I get real cow bone for dogs to chew on for a small no chain pet store, they are hard to find but you can get them, then stuff them with mixture including peanut butter which takes longer for the dog to get because it real bone they can break or squeeze it out of the toy. I also make sure there is a favor food or treat in the center like cheese. They will spend all day trying to get to the cheese. Kong toy are good to stuff and freeze too. Google for dog toy stuffing recipes.
    KimPrintable

Answer by KimPrintable at 3:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Do you walk your dog when you are home? Dog's also behave this way out of boredom and they are looking for an outlet. If his toys aren't doing it for him then he needs more interaction and exercise. 45 minute walks or more a day every day (except for very bad weather of course) and that should help.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 3:32 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• please just be careful with the Kongs, they have casued animals to get their tounges stuck and suffocate. make sure they are the right size. And depending on the breed of dog, chew bones and toys are great to throw/hide some in yard.

lol. he's still a pup too. my neighbors dog (one yr. old also) chew through our cable cord 3 times, until the cable company finally buried it in the ground. The dog likes being outside, but it was there, and he chewed away!
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 3:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Why do you have no choice? I always allow my dog to stay in my home when I am away---for 8 hours at least. I don't see why he needs to stay outside. I feel sorry for him,the poor doggie.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 7, 2011