adenoid removal...what can i expect?

my 4 yr old is having her adenoids removed next Fri, just curious what can i expect in terms of recovery? im not sure if the hospital allows a parent to be with her when she is put under... if yours did, did you do it and how was it? my friend recommended me NOT be with her since i am almost 26 weeks pregnant and have my husband be with her b/c they just go limp and it is scary to see.

AgentBrez

Asked by AgentBrez at 3:23 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It is just going into a deep sleep. These people r professionals she will be fine. Her throat will be the worst kind of pain ever imagined. Give her only ice-cream. She will not start to feel like herself for a few weeks.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:25 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Having been through adenoid removal, I don't remember having horrible pain or anything like the PP says. In fact, I don't remember it being much, if any, worse than having tubes alone (that time was a joint operation), which wasn't bad at all. Granted, I was young (not quite as young as your daughter), but it was obviously nothing scarring. And I haven't had a single ear infection since, so definitely worth it. My mom was not allowed to be with me, but she got me a doll (Madeline, with a book about her getting her appendix removed, with a little scar on the doll and everything, lol, very cute) for comfort, and that helped.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:31 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I was pregnant when my son had his tonsils and adenoids removed and they wouldn't let me in for safety reasons for me and my unborn so my hubby went in and he came out crying because of how my son went limp with his eyes still open. He was in the recovery room for about 3 hours where he ate lots of ice pops ice cream and juice I recommend stocking up on those things and jello because she won't want to swallow anything rough also make her drink because it hurts more when their throats get dry. He was fine in a few days and his voice was better in about a week inbox me if u have any more questions! good luck!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My daughter had hers done a few months ago. Her voice was a little scratchy but that wa from a breathing tube. She was tired the day of the surgery but the next day she was fine.
    softchick21

Answer by softchick21 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My 5 year old had her tonsils and adenoids out last month. Hey Gabe her an oralseditive before hand and she was just a silly goof. Then they took her back and put her under general anthesia. We saw her about 30 min later in recovery and picked up a strawberry milkshake on the way home. Total time at the hospital was under 3 he's and that included all the paperwork etc.
    She was playing with her siblings that evening and even had Mac and cheese and mashed p
    potatoes. For dinner along with jello. She had her surgery on a Wed and ate a full Christmas dinner by Saturday. The whole thing never slowed her down a bit. She did get motion sick for a few days when we were in the car but I think it was due to the pain meds once we switched to tylenol no more motion sickness.
    Goodluck
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 5:15 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My son had this adenoids and tonsils removed December 10th.  He was in pain after surgery, we could go the holding area for surgery but we could not go when he was being put under. He was allowed his favorite toy and blanket in the OR.  They would let him have it until he was asleep.  He missed 1 week from school and was able to eat milk shakes, ice cream, juice, Popsicles, etc. Cold stuff is the best.  He will go home with pain meds, they will let him wake-up before sending him home, and overall he was fine.  He will also be on antibiotics b/c his immune system will be down.  You will have a follow-up app to check his throat about 2 weeks after surgery.  No drinking out straws for 2 weeks.  Btw, my son's dr had pre-op app the day before surgery to go over everything.  

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2011