Potty Training: Toilet baby seat vs Potty Chair

My son is a yr and half and is showing a lot of interest in using the toilet, but I don't know if a training potty or a seat on the toilet is better. Any insight?

alysiah83

Asked by alysiah83 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• IMO get a seat on the toilet then you dont have to mess with the poop! Just a flush away!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 3:33 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Get one of each. We got my son a potty chair, and he loved sitting on it and playing with it (he especially liked to sit on it with a book and act like daddy, lol), but whenever he shows any interest in actually doing something (which isn't regular, but still), he prefers to sit on the toilet, and eventually the potty chair became just a step stool. It really has a lot to do with individual preference.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:33 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I did both - and THEN, he showed interest in both at first, then not at all, then ONLY the potty chair, then ONLY on the toilet seat, then not at all because it was "Too hard" so we ran out again and got an extra cushioned one and that was his trick for training.. lol!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Depends on the child. My first son loved the seat but my second loved the potty chair I recommend getting the one that has a seat that detached and fits to the toilet so he can choose which he wants each time he goes eventually he'll develop a favorite.
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 3:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Our potty chair ended up only being used as a step stool, but it might have been because they only used a toilet seat ring at their daycare. In the end I was really glad it worked out that way, because flushing is definitely preferable to cleaning out a potty chair. I think the potty chairs with a removable ring to put on the toilet are probably a pretty good idea, especially if the chair can be used as a step stool too.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:17 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Forget the potty chair- its just an extra step that you don't really need. The little seat that sits on the regular toilet is definitely the way to go, then they're already used to the real thing. Not to mention, who wants to see someone's kid sitting in the living room taking a poo...
    foxy420_1

Answer by foxy420_1 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 8, 2011