Does this make us hypocrites?

I have done quite a bit of thinking recently and have come to sort of a conclusion. I am a republican and I am not ashamed to say so, my basic beliefs do not really matter for this question, but to sum it up, I believe that the government should take a step back and give us our freedoms back and stop telling us all what we can and cannot do. I believe that the government is way too involved in our lives and decision and the way we are raising our children etc.

With all that said I got to thinking about abortion. I was raised with the belief that abortion is wrong and should be illegal. I still do not agree with it but I have never been placed in a situation where I would have to make that decision. Now my question, is my belief that I was raised with a hypocritical belief in regards to the rest of my beliefs? I want the government to let me make my own decisions but I want to make the decision for another human? Make a decision for a woman and take away her choice???

I think my stance is changing for the reasons stated above, does this thought make any sense to anyone?

bjojola

Asked by bjojola at 3:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I've toyed with that notion, too...and my final answer is and always will be no.

Your freedoms end where another person's rights begin, and abortion takes away a human's right to life.

I know, it's not popular.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• It does to me.

While i believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion, it blows my mind that someone would suggest de-regualting an industry in favor of less government intervention, and in the same breath suggest regulate what happend inside my body, or who i choose to marry.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Makes complete sense. Someone brought up this same argument about gay marriage & legalizing pot in another forum i belong too.

I think you're very smart :~)
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• It does make sense

its also the same as someone saying get the govt out of healthcare,,,,then at 65 saying get your hands off my Medicare

or free speech for ANYTHING

except cursing in front of a child...

We all have our things that makes is think about our beliefs....and if they align in ALL aspects

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Your freedoms end where another person's rights begin, and abortion takes away a human's right to life.

That's where it lies for me, as well. I would not consider murder and manslaughter laws to be big government interference.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I too agree with LovinAngels! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I'll add though, that opinions don't have to be black and white.

Lovin's example, where she considers a human life more valueable than, say, a no smoking ordinance, is a perfect illustration.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• No
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• yeah, ive always thought conservatives and liberals are really backwards on a lot of things. republicans say no to abortion but yes to the death penalty and democrats say yes to abortion and no to the death penalty (im generalizing of course)

pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 3:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Do our freedoms really end where another person's begin? I'm not sure about that.

How about spanking? A child's right to not be physically assualted next to a parent's right to raise their kids how they like. Or smoking? A person's right to breathe, next the a smoker's right to pollute the air. Or an Iraqi's right to life, next to the US's right to bomb the crap out of them due to faulty intelligence?

SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 3:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2011