Why do so many of you hate the wealthy?

Why do you think they don't deserve a tax break or should pay a higher percentage than the rest of us? Why is it a crime to be successful! Was America not built on the ideals that everyone has an opportunity to make something of themselves in this country...or does that only apply to a certain extent? Why must those be punished for busting their asses to have everything they have today? I don't understand.

My uncle barely graduated high school. He was in trouble, so he asked my grandpa to lend him some money so he could open a car dealership. He did. After many years of almost losing his business, it took off. In the 20 years following he opened 9 more dealerships and is now a millionaire. He beat alcoholism and prostate cancer. He runs marathons now and one of his dealerships gives to over 50 charities. My uncle is a good man. He did not become rich by being greedy...he became rich by being smart, working hard, and making good decisions. But $90,000 a year in income tax payments is not enough for you people. You want him to pay MORE!

Why in the world would ANYONE want to venture out and try to make something of themselves when the rest of you are wanting to take it or hoping he/she fails? It seems like it would be easier to not do anything and get government assistance than to build a business or what have you. Why are you sending people the wrong message?

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 3:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• Quite honestly it is hard to tell who is truly wealth and who isn't. Most of the people that appear wealthy are actually deeply in debt (see the Millionaire next door.) So those 'snotty rich people' could quite possibly be as broke as anyone else. Perhaps just on a different level though.

And I actually admire people that inherit wealth and hold on to it. Statistically speaking it's a very rare thing. It take a very wise person to receive a large sum of money and not blow it all (have you seen the lotto winners stats?)

OP I agree with you though. If a person works hard, smart, and honest and they make a large sum of money I don't really understand why they need to be taxed out of half of it. Especially since a lot of the wealthy are small businesses owners. Which also means they are employers. I often wonder if they weren't taxed so much if wages would be higher and more jobs would be available.

Just food for thought.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I don't hate wealthy people and I think people who have worked hard to become wealthy - not just inherited it - are to be commended. The people who irk me are the ones who try to hide every cent they can in any tax-shelter, legal or not, so that they end up paying next to nothing in income tax. How fair is that? I personally would vote for doing away with every loophole and make income tax a straight 10% across the board, every penny that was earned, either from a job or investments or interest, etc. That would certainly seem more fair to everyone.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 3:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• 1. Not every wealthy person has worked hard to get it.
    2. Not everyone who works hard is wealthy.

Your success should match your work.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 3:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I think it's sad when people would begrudge anyone success and happiness. Wealth is relative anyway. At which dollar amount does wealth begin? I know that I was born into very poor circumstances. Trailer trash is a term I know. I always thought $35,000-$50,000 a year was kind of wealthy. However, I grew up and worked super hard to get a good education. I also married well. My husband and I are upper-middle class. We worked hard to get here, but I have never ever forgotten where I came from. Therefore, I don't mind giving generously to charities and organizations, and I don't mind paying my taxes. I want everyone to have the same opportunities I have had, and if I can do something to help it along, why shouldn't I? Of course, I realize I am relatively singular in my thought process, but... My first sentence really sticks out as the whole point of this answer.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I do not agree with tax loopholes that only apply to those with exorbitant amounts of money/income. Would should a person who earns a billion $$/year be able to legally show a taxable income of $250,000? Why is that OK? Isn't that just the equivalent of entitlements for the wealthy? I think we need total tax reform and fair+flat tax-no loopholes. Many of the wealthiest Americans have inherited their wealth. THEY did not do anything but be born; no blood seat, tears or long hours toiling. Make it fair, for EVERYONE- unless the US WILL become a third world country with a very few owning and controlling everything-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I don't hate the wealthy because without them people wouldn't have jobs. 

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Last year I paid 28% of my income in federal taxes. The same year, the US Senate held a hearing to obtain the testimony of 5 of the richest investment advisers in light of the banking meltdown. Those men made billions, yet only paid the equivalent of 5% of their earned income in taxes.

I commend anyone who works hard to earn their money and build their successes. However, I do not believe that wealth accumulated on the backs of the less fortunate makes one worthy of admiration.

I also question the morals of the wealthy who fail to pay their employees fair and decent wages. I.E. Waltons of the Walmarts and Sam's Clubs. Their combined wealth beats out Bill Gates several fold, yet they routinely engage in employment practices that rob their workers of living wages.

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:33 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My only problem with SOME rich people is their "better than everyone" attitude. That being said, I've only met a few rich people that weren't arrogant upity pricks but many who were.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• AMEN, sisteract!!!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• some rich people act like they are better then everyone else or like they work harder then everyone else which is not true! Money does not make life, it's being surrounded by people you love & taking care of them!!
    duwana

Answer by duwana at 3:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2011