i stopped BF'ing my DS in september...

MY MILK IS STILL RIDICULOUS!! and he is 2.5 years old!!
how do i stop it completely?

JT32606

Asked by JT32606 at 3:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• Check with your gyno.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I would just pump a little each day to relieve it...especially if it's uncomfortable. Just do less and less each day and hopefully that will help. You can ask the doc if there's something to help dry it out also. YOu could even manually express it in the shower...not to express all of it, but "just a little off the top" lol...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• They give u pills to dry up the milk supply.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Are you pumping?
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 3:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• calliesmommie...expressing even just a little will prompt the body to make more milk.

OP-I would talk to the doc. I still have milk after 3 years but not much and I rarely have problems with leaking.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• You don't.

You have lactating breasts, now. When there has been sufficient time between the last time your body had any reason to make milk and now, it will take a lot of effort to express any... but you will forever be able to express milk, because the changes to your breasts that occurred during pregnancy are irreversible.

Sage can dramatically lower your supply --you can eat it fresh, or as a strong tea, a couple of times a day for a week will make a lot of difference.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:53 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• It's normal to still have milk for a long while after weaning. Birth control pills with estrogen or NuvaRing can dry you up. HOWEVER... THIS late you shouldn't be seeing "ridiculous" amounts, just a bit of leakage. If it's a LOT (as in fills a bottle), see your doc. There are two things that could be happening: You may be pregnant, or you may have a thyroid issue.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:16 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• This is pretty common. Was the weaning gradual or quick? I know that pumping/hand expressing encourages production, but short term, you could express JUST ENOUGH to become comfortable, and then gradually decrease that amount. What is the amount that you are seeing? There are a few things that you could try, No More Milk tea, Sage/Sage pills, cold cabbage leaves in bra, estrogen BC, off the top of my head. There are more, but I can't think of them right now.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• it was a gradual wean.....but im still producing ALOT...more than i was....i can get 9oz out of each breast....and that was just me expressing enough to feel comfortable....ugh....
    i wish he would just go back on the boob....
    JT32606

Comment by JT32606 (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Jan. 9, 2011