Don't have maternity insurance but I won't get any help from Gov't.....

Sorry but I got to thinking today because i am s SAHM and my husband has a decent job and takes care of me and our 5 year old. We have insurance through his company and it is a small business and it would cost $550.00 a month for me to have maternity and we were not planning on having any more so didn't get it. Well now I am 7 weeks pregnant with no maternity insurance. And it just burns me up that the gov't will help people that lay around and don't work. And I guess if I had 10 different kids by 10 different daddy's I might could get some help. But hard working people like us can't get a cent! What is wrong with this picture?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• I know what u mean It is unfair and wrong.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:53 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• You can pay cash for your doctors appts and apply for emergency medicaid when the child is born. That is how illegals do it and they don't even pay taxes. You can talk to midwives, they are considerably cheaper than surgeons.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:55 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• amen! my hubby and i are legally married yet so i can get insurance for us no problem, but they call 24/7 asking if im being beaten or to make sure we go to our check ups and such! drives me crazy! i just need the insurance just in case something happens to us, i dont use it! we both go to the doc once a year for a check up and maybe will go if we get sick but prolly not! i hate the people the just keep poping out kids left and right and run to the ER for everything!!! GRR! Congrats on the baby! hope things get better!! *hugs*
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Excuse me but that is a terribly ignorant thing to say. YOU don't work yourself! You have a 5 year old that isn't in school yet? If your child is in school why aren't you looking for a job?

I have state aid. I work. I have ONE partner, one father to my child.

Are you SURE you can't get help from the state? DId you even apply? Or did you just look up the max income for state assistance? Because they do make exceptions.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 4:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Wow. I think that you should edit your statement. There are some people that receive Medicaid because of disabilities, you know?

You seem pretty ignorant to assume that all people on government assistance don't work & have multiple partners.

If you didn't plan on having anymore children & knew you didn't purchase the insurance, you should have been more careful to not get pregnant.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I'm sure the OP's comments were aimed at you meandrphoto. :) The way the system works is ridiculous, we are in a low income neighborhood and I see people that haven't done a damn thing for themselves get all the help in the world. I say cut them off and make more room to help those that are at least trying to help themselves.

At my OBGYN's office they set up a payment plan, no problem. You pay while pregnant in monthly installments rather than get the big bill after. The hospital does the same, you can start paying on a delivery account before you go in. Good luck!
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• i dont know how true this is because someelse told me but .. i heard that the DHHR has to give every pregnant woman insurance. i didnt have insurance before i got pregnant because my work insurance is wayyyy to much! so i went there when they told me about it and it took them over 2 months to approve me and im 17 weeks. they just approved me today!! and the WIC woman told me that it shouldnt have took no longer then 3-7 days. but i said the same thing if i were on drugs, wasnt going to take care of my baby, sat on my ass and got a check then they wouldve gave it to me a long time ago. maybe you could do a little research about this and see how true is it. they approved me after that long so maybe you could keep trying. GOOD LUCK!
    mommy2be0611

Answer by mommy2be0611 at 4:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Did you even attempt to get state aid before bashing everyone who receives it?
    Anonymous

• not that people who get assitance is a problem i know times are rough so dont think i was saying that!
    mommy2be0611

Answer by mommy2be0611 at 4:20 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Have you tried pregnancy medicaid? in Fl, where I live, every pregnant woman is eligable, not matter what the income. It covers the entire pregnancy (even the hopsital stay) and the baby while in the hopsital. I don't know how other states do it but it is al least worth a look.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 7, 2011