SAHMs...2 questions

1. Could you support yourself and your children without the help of child support if you and your DH were to divorce?

2. If you own a home, is your name on the house as well?

I am asking because I am a SAHM and I really don't have any money to my name. My fiance and I are looking for another house because we have outgrown this one and are marrying in June. My future in-laws are giving us some money for a down payment as a wedding gift but will not allow my name to be put on the house. (they are very much in control of my fiance's finances) So if 15 years from now my DH and I divorce and we have 3 kids or something, I won't have a place to go. What the hell am I supposed to do about this? They feel that since I am not equally contributing to payments on the house, it should not be "half mine" in the event of a divorce.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• The house is ONLY in my name.

Yes, I could support us if I had to.

You and your husband you tell his parents Thanks, but no thanks. Accepting their money, means accepting their terms. They clearly do not value your contribution to your family.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 4:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Don't go into a marriage thinking about divorce.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 3:58 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• You will have a place to go regardless if your name is on it or not. It's called marital property. He would have to have you sign a quick deed on the house and any attorney will tell you that he would have to buy your portion of the home.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Yes, I could fully and totally support myself if we divorced. No child support needed my only is grown and has moved away for college. I did not become a SAHM until 9 years ago.I've had my own career, I have my own retirement account, my own investments, my own savings, as well as the ability to get a job tomorrow if needed ( My degree and career experience is in a field that is always in need of people, both in the public and private sector).I also have a post-nuptial agreement, that depending on the reasons for divorce, guarantees me spousal support until I die, remarry or I choose to no longer receive it (our post nup has been notarized and signed off on by a judge.it is totally legally binding in my state).

I love my husband dearly. We have been married 25 years, we have been through great times and horrific times. One thing my experiences have taught me: cover your own basis and make sure you are prepared for anything.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• They r looking out for their son. It is his job to say to them"Look I appreciate the money but,my wifes name needs to go on it to. On the other hand, u r getting married in 5 months and thinking about divorce,HELLO major red flag!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I am not thinking that we will get divorced, but no one knows what could happen down the road...and I am thinking about it to make sure I have options in the event of.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• A marriage is not a business deal! Who cares who pays the bills!! To answer your questions: 1. No, I would never be able to live the same quality of life without my husband or his income. If something happens I will get a job and be able to provide a townhouse for the kids and I. 2. Yes, the house is "half mine" I clean, take care of the kids and cook. Without me my husband couldn't live the same quality of life either.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Oh yeah. We do not own a home.. And have no interest in doing so. However our condo lease is in my name only.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• no and no. But i am attending school right now for a degree in nursing so i would be able to if anything happened, which it wont.
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 4:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Practically speaking, it is good to talk about finances before you get married. It is reported that financial issues are at the heart of a large portion of marital problems.

It's too bad your future in-laws don't seem to have a lot of faith in your coming marriage, but you can still have your fiancée make you his primary beneficiary on ALL accounts and holdings. That way, if something happens to him, the property and accounts don't go into probate. After a while (months or maybe years) the two of you can refinance the house, and change the ownership then, if it is still important to you.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 4:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2011