went to wic today and...

according to them my 4 year old is underweight and only in the 3rd percentile for weight. this really freaked me out and made me feel like a horrible parent!

she's 32 pounds and 41 inches tall. i have a feeling that if she weren't so tall (75th percentile for height) that it wouldn't be such an issue. i think the issue is she's not proportionate, she's really tall and really skinny. but i don't know what else to do, i offer her healthy foods and she eats what she eats. when she's done she's done. i can't force feed her and im not going to load her up on junk. and anytime you ask her what she wants to drink, she says water. she never drinks juice anymore and really only has milk with her cereal and occasionally with dinner. she's also very high energy and active, so her metabolism is probably awesome.

when she turned 2, wic put her on 1% milk. she's always been tall and petite, but they decided at 2 she didn't need to continue whole milk and put her on one percent. well today, they decided to upgrade her to 2%. if i want whole, ill have to get a script from her doctor in order for them to change it. so here they are, telling me my kid is underweight yet they won't just willingly hand over whole milk checks to me? what difference will 2% milk make, especially since she rarely drinks it anyway!?

im not sure what to do to help her gain weight. she's not picky when it comes to food, she will eat if she's hungry but that's the thing, only if she's hungry. she'll try anything. i don't see this 2% milk making a huge difference in her weight. any suggestions? how big is your 4 year old?

im also told today that my 11 month old is anemic! her iron is 9 something when it should be atleast 11. 2 steps down doesn't seem like the word anemic should be thrown out but i guess they flip if the iron's not atleast 11. anyway with her, she eats everything we eat. we eat red meat about twice a week, which is what they suggested i do. so obviously that's not going to help. she eats plenty of fruits and vegetables that are rich in vitamin C that will help absorb the iron, so again, nothing i can do there. they did suggest beans, so maybe a serving of beans a day will bring it up. any other iron improving suggestions?

i feel like such a bad mom today. atleast my 2 year old is healthy according to wic?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Kids' Health

• ur kids sound fine dont listen to them! im very tall and have always been skinny! i didnt even hit 100 pounds until 10th grade! and i was 5' 7''! i was like a stick! and i have a very high metabolism! i eat like 5 small meals a day and snacks! im always eating something! i say dont worry ur kids are fine! :-)
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 4:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• oatmeal helps to boost iron.

Cook on Cast iron too.
    Are you nursing? the iron found in breastmilk absorbs easier and more readily then that found in formula.

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 4:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• with ur 4 yr old all i can say is dont stress about it. they say that to me alot about my 3 yr old. my dd is 2 now but from birth to 1 yr she was anemic. we moved from nevada to here with my inlaws and the kids started eatting beans and rice with everything and low and behold she isnt anemic anymore. only down side is that if ur child has pooping issues the beans wont help it. my dd is horrible about pooping so she eats lots of grain and fiber ceral. good luck
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 4:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Ask their doctor! If the Doctor says they are fine, they are fine. The WIC specialist are a lot of help, but they aren't doctors, and even if your daughter is thin, or your other child is anemic, that doesn't mean they are malnutritioned, or sick. ASK the Doctor! The Doctor will know what is best for your children. Also, watch them. As long as they are eating, and not fatigued or ill, everything is probably fine!
    mrskrisher

Answer by mrskrisher at 4:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Relax...by 4 yr old will be 5 in march and she is 34 lbs the doc just says she is gonig to be a basket ball player... they have no concerns
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 4:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Don't stress over those percentiles and what WIC tells you. Go by what the doctors say. ONLY worry when the Pediatrician worries.

They actually asked me if I was FEEDING my 3 year old because she is barely 28 pounds (was only 26 at the time) and they said she hadn't gained half a pound in 6 months. Then when she went to the pediatrician they showed she had gained great and was in the 25th percentile when WIC said she was in the 5th. I think they're MORONS personally.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:17 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Are they taking vitamins? My sister give my 4yr old niece Nutri-Pal (she is 35 lbs it don't matter how much she eats).
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 4:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Vitamins & Pediasure might be the best solutions.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:12 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• my 2 yr old is tall and skinny. often kids do not gain alot between 3-4 anyhow. my 2 yr old is like 27pounds small compared to her older siblings. I give her good high fat stuff when i can like adding butter, baby yogurt made with whole milk. WIConly gives 1% after 2. Just feed them healthy and they will grow...I would not worry. I just offer healthy snacks. my 2 yr old went months in her baby days not gaining even the doc was concerned but we fed her and she did eventually gain just not at the rate of her older siblings.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Your 4 year old sounds like my 4, almost 5, year old. He is 37 pounds and about 42 inches tall. I dropped his first pediatrician when she told me at 18 months he had failure to thrive even though he was fine at every visit up to that one. Way back when we were on WIC one of the nurses told me he was too skinny. Basically she accused me of not feeding him enough or even knowing how to feed him. Dropped WIC too. I just make sure he takes his vitamin every day and I offer snacks between meals. He also has a high metabolism, he goes all day until it's time to go to bed. I'd love to have his energy.

I don't think you're a bad mom. I think WIC doesn't know what they are talking about a lot of the time.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2011