Doritos/Pepsi go over the top with Super Bowl Ad (Thoughts?)

http://www.wtsp.com/video/default.aspx?menuid=42#/Religion/Controversial+Commercial%3A+Feed+the+Flock/53132882001/53153665001/739524434001

Apparently Doritos/Pepsi are having an ad contest for consumers favorite super bowl ad. As super bowl ads go, they are usually hilarious and highly anticipated. In fact, one of the ads that made the cut for the contest, depict a very sexy Eve eating the forbidden fruit in the garden, and Adam -the not-quite-as-sexy guy who probably didn't even noticed that Eve was naked, decides that "he's good" with a bag of Doritos.

But the one ad that won't air (which is posted in the link above), takes place in a Catholic church, where it shows a Catholic priest and his understudy swamped in a pile of bills, with low Sunday morning turnout. After (supposedly) praying really hard, The Catholic priest asks God for a "sign" followed by the sound of a crunching chip and the "snap and pour" of a soda. The Catholic priest decides to offer chips and coke in place of the wafers and wine served at Communion, and advertises it as "free Doritos and Pepsi Max every Sunday" in order to increase their numbers (which inevitably happens with people asking for the "cool ranch" instead of the "nacho cheese.") At the end the Catholic priest appears to have a life time supply of Doritos and Pepsi, and while he's chugging down the soda, the camera pans down to the pile of bills that are now paid, as if his "ploy" was a success.

Catholics everywhere are apparently outraged (since they believe that wine and bread are actually the body and blood of Christ) and so the comercial was pulled before it even aired.

What are your thoughts? Is this offensive, or in fun?

-Eilish-

Asked by -Eilish- at 4:20 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Religious Debate

• yeah the Catholic one is pretty offensive, the Adam and Eve one is just silly
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 4:23 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I'm not Catholic so that's probably why I think it's funny and nto offensive. But as a Pepsi stockholder, I think it's smart of the company to pull the ad now.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 4:24 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• it doesn't offend me, but i am not Catholic. i can understand why it would offend Catholics. they should come up with an idea that doesn't involve religion at all, things always get ugly when religion is involved.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I'm not Catholic, but I would probably find it offensive.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 4:29 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Uh how do you know it's a Catholic church that's being represented? I saw no indication other than the black shirts with the white collar which is not a strictly Catholic thing. Frankly I didn't see the harm and it's mild as far as SuperBowl ads go. Though they could eliminate the superbowl and I wouldn't care........
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• BTW, the Adam and Eve one is just stupid, not offensive.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 4:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• @Kristi .... I guess I assumed since it was the Catholic community that found it offensive, although I could see liturgical Protestant churches also getting offended. The question could equally apply to them as well.
    -Eilish-

Comment by -Eilish- (original poster) at 4:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• imo its super funny, but then i usually like the things the ppl these ads are made for like (men ages 18-30, go figure). i can see how some religious ppl would find it offensive, but those ppl probably find a lot of stuff on TV offensive. Pepsi/Doritos brand did the smart thing by pulling it b/c its rarely smart to use religion to sell products...even tho it did make me want Doritos and a soda!

and it makes me sad to see that the Super Bowl commercial questions have started...it means footballs almost over :(
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:41 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• it's hiliarious because it's showing a diet pepsi with doritos which the doritos are out of bounds, the two don't mix well to think of it..
    brieri

Answer by brieri at 4:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I think it's funny. I also think people need to just get over it and find their sense of humor again. Sheesh! People seems to get offended over the stupidest things these days.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:24 PM on Jan. 7, 2011