Do any hospitals take donations?

I breastfeed and tend to make a surplus of milk. Instead of freezing it and never using it (eventually having to toss it) I'd love to donate it to a hospital for their NICU. I watch 19 kids and counting and saw that Michelle Duggar donated her breastmilk after learning Josie is lactose-intolerant. I'd love to do the same :)

alinker

Asked by alinker at 4:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• Call around and ask.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 4:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Some do but there are usually pretty strict regulations and they may require you get tested. You would need to call around. You will also be able to find mothers online who will accept your milk as well. check out www.eatsonfeets.org
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 4:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I'm unsure, as the milk needs to be pasturized for donation through any organization. Look into Eats On Feets, and Milkshare, both donation organizations. You could also try to find someone local for direct donation. I think this is very admirable of you.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:10 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Where are you located (in general). I know some people in my area who could use donated milk, but its a long shot you're in our area.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:11 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Twentynine Palms, Ca
    alinker

Comment by alinker (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2011