What did BF do for you? Did it define you or empower you?

For me BF was more emotional-up and down- as much as it was for nourishing. Just curious to hear what other women's view on the intimacy is and can you put it in words that I have trouble finding but wow that feeling of accomplishment is there! If you can relate THANKS a bunch!

NOT a formula BASH. Just crossing my t's.

2tinyhineys

Asked by 2tinyhineys at 4:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I learned that my children's bodies knew best when they were hungry --better than I did, certainly, but also better than any scientist, doctor, 'expert' or 'specialist' who had no way of knowing better than their own bodies.

It made me absolutely certain that while a lot of people know a lot of things, they can't know anything near as much as I knew about my kids because they were schooled in averages and extremes, while I was living specifics.

Breastfeeding was the first step in a long line of steps that taught me to listen to my children respectfully and carefully before 'knowing better than them' what they wanted or needed. It was what made it obvious to me that I didn't know, the clock didn't know, the chart didn't know and the doctor didn't know if they were growing a lot faster than yesterday, coming down with something, fighting something off, needing more or less sleep, cuddles, company, activity or food.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• It extended the time in which I was very close to my infant. It was a special loving time.

Answer by Bmat at 4:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• It is the best thing i have done wish i had the guts to do this with my first child. I can't explain how it makes me feel.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 4:41 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• BFing never defined me nor did it "empower" me.
    It did allow me to bond with my children in their infancy.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Breastfeeding did tie me down in some ways.... Having to stop in the middle of a shopping trip to nurse, waking every 2 hours, Not leaving my childs side for too long. In other areas it gave me such great freedom.... not caring around bottles and formula, just rolling over and giving child my breast instead of having to make bottles in the middle of the night, no dirty bottles. I'm glad I did it and if I ever have another child I will definelty do it again :-)
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 4:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Well, it didn't do anything for me, because I didn't BF any of my kids. I wanted to my 1st, but he was an emergency c-section after 21 hours of hard labor, and I was just too out of it, so I decided to just let the nurses feed him. My daughter I did a little, because she was a preemie, and my nursing her is what helped her turn the corner. I didn't stay with it, though. My youngest, I didn't even try. And, no I don't feel guilty, my children are all fine, and none of us suffered one bit from it. It's ok for some, and for others, I guess not. It's honestly up to each individual, but I do admire the women who do.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 4:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• It was convenient. That was about the only thing I can think of.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 4:55 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• oh,and i bonded with my other babies when I formula fed by holding them closely while I fed them a bottle. And holding them on my lap at other times too ----you can cuddle at any opportunity,not just during feedings. But I wouldn't go as far as sayng it "empowered me". LOL,
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 4:58 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Well for me it showed me that I could take care of my baby. I knew I could from day 1 but this just proved it to me. My second daughter was given formula in the hospital I was sick the doc's thought she would catch it. We started nursing as soon as I saw her with out any problems. She was a big fatty.
    I worked full time with all three babies and this made me slow down and nurture them.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 5:29 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Awesome ladies.
    Awesome LindaClements!!!
    Kerp-Absolutely. FF babes are intimate as well. I am more FOR women empowerment, be it BF or Formula. :) BF awareness and being a mom made me even more passionate about supporting other women and support rights for women.
    2tinyhineys

Comment by 2tinyhineys (original poster) at 5:09 PM on Jan. 7, 2011