Introducing solids to baby?

So my baby girl will be 4 months tomorrow! And the docs told me i can start feedin her solids when she is 4 months. And i want to start tomorrow so i need help about how much i should feed her and what? and do i feed her a bottle after i feed her solid or what? and how many times a day do i feed it her? lol she's my first baby so im new to this all and i want to do it right. So help? thanks :)

babbykrissy

Asked by babbykrissy at 4:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My peditrician recommended the website www.wholesomebabyfood.com
    there is lots of great info there
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• start with just a few bites, work your way up to half a jar . my 5 month old eats a whole jar of mashed fruit before bed
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 5:12 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Personally, I'd wait longer, but if you're adamant about starting, you always nurse/give bottle FIRST, then solids right after. Many people start with cereal, but you don't HAVE to, you can start with a fruit or veggie instead. Banana, avocado and sweet potato are great starter foods, and you can just mash them up. You can do jars if you prefer, but I found it easier and cheaper to not do jars.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:53 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• thanks she already gets rice ceral in her bottle and im gonna start with oatmeal btw but just wanted tips on how aand stuff but i will check out that site!
    babbykrissy

Comment by babbykrissy (original poster) at 8:10 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Technically, you've already started solids. The most important thing is to ALWAYS offer solids AFTER a bottle or nursing all the way up until 12 mos of age. This will ensure that your LO does not fill up on solids and take in less of the breast milk or formula needed for growth and nutrition, though I worry that with cereal in the bottle, that might already be happening. I would advise you to stop giving solids via bottle. When beginning with the spoon or self feeding of solids after a bottle, you will likely be feeding mere teaspoons at a time, and I would advise no more then once a day to start. This will gradually increase in quantity and frequency. Also, it is important to remember that breast milk and/or formula is the primary source of nutrition all the way up until the first birthday. I'd like to ask why you are giving cereal in a bottle, but you absolutely don't have to answer if you don't want to. Also, keep
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• in mind that these are MY opinions, and you should do what YOU feel is best.
    Krysta622

• she gets rice ceral in her bottle for spit ups doctor recomended it.
    babbykrissy

Comment by babbykrissy (original poster) at 9:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I never knew about offering it after bottle/breast. I've always given him food first and bottle after (like.. food then drink)
    ceemuhreeashbee

Answer by ceemuhreeashbee at 4:54 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 6:24 PM on Jan. 8, 2011