Neighborhood Etiquette

For as long as I can remember my parents always taught me two certain things(among many others lol). That its rude to walk on someones lawn and that its also rude to use someones driveway to make a Uturn. Where you taught this? Do you practice it yourself? I try my best to. I know even for Halloween Im always telling dd to take the walkway instead of the lawn

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 4:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Just for Fun

• No but the lawn part I understand the driveway is no biggie.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• The lawn - yes. And I hate it when others use my lawn as a shortcut.
    The driveway - no.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• No, I was never taught that about the drive it's no big deal to me but the lawn yes you shouldn't walk on someones yard or let your animals do their thing there either
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 4:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I'm from the city so neither apply as a rule but I know from common sense not to walk on someone's lawn.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 4:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I don't think of other people's driveways as 'off limits' for turning around. I don't think I'd ever have considered that to be 'rude' and would really like a description of how that is so...

It is polite to be respectful of people's spaces, and avoiding damaging other's property and person... but does that have anything to do with walking on a lawn when it's dry?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:53 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Not the drive way, but I always feel uncomfortable when I do it, but the lawn thing yes. I was taught it and still respect it. Especially when I am out walking my dog he is on the side that faces traffic I will not let him go into someone's yard even if it's just to smell something it's rude. And I HATE when people let their dogs on my lawn, I have been known to take a bag out to someone when their dog has dumped in my yard and they start to walk away. I'll say "Here! I figured you accidentally left yours at home." And I smile and stand there as they pick it up. Call me crazy but it's MY yard, I should only have to clean up after MY dog's mess not some stranger who is to lazy to do it themselves.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 4:53 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Actually I am from the country...so I didn't run into this too often...One thing we were taught, however, was in a graveyard, out of respect for a deceased person, we were to walk around the site in stead of on it...
    This is what I thought of when I saw this question and Neighborhood Etiquette.....The amount of noise that comes from people next door: shouting and honking horns in the wee hours of the morning....and my real pet peeve....Three or four teenagers walking in a row down the middle of the street (when there are sidewalks)...and expecting me to go around them....I maintain my ground...and they move or I come within inches of them.......One time a kid came over and hit my windshield with his hand....Very rude and frankly gang-like activity...I do NOT like feeling this way in my own neighborhood...but I see it DAILY from my window.....
    VeronicaTex

Answer by VeronicaTex at 4:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Yes we were taught both. I have used a driveway to turn around a few times when there was no other choice.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:57 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

Not sure what you mean by the lawn being dry. But the driveway thing is just something my dad always told me. He just found it to be rude and sometimes I do to. I will do it when I dont have a choice but when there is a wide street or another place to turn then I dont see why its necessary. Its not prohibited by any means, but just doesnt feel right to do IMO
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My dhs aunt has a horse shoe drive way and she gets so annoyed when others use it to turn around. They will literally drive the entire thing to get back to the main road. No I agree with her and find it very rude. Also because there are businesses and other roads right next to her house
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 5:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2011