Anyone else have a working mom when they grew up?

Mine was very postive in the way she took me to work with her and we ate out at the local dennys like restaraunt. I had fun going to work with my mom! She did payroll and book work while running an office during the day.
I used to get to walk to the 7 eleven just 2 mintues away from the office once I was old enough, (age 11), and get us our snacks.
My elementary school was four blocks away from her office and I walked there one day, I was in the third grade, none of my family could believe I knew how to get there on my own.

idaspida

Asked by idaspida at 4:57 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• my mom worked odd jobs here and there until my oldest brother was in high school, then she began working for the local paper again (which she did before having children). she started slowly as a stringer and quickly got back to full time, eventually holding various editor positions. i worked with her as the paper's typist for a couple years, it was great. she worked full time and never missed a beat with us as kids. we were allowed into all the extracurricular activities we could handle and afford. she never used the excuse of being too busy for us to do anything. she's a real inspiration.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 5:23 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My Mom worked at a local factory, and it was horrible work. She would come home crying from her hands hurting, and the headaches from working on a sand blaster machine. Her hands had oil stains on them, and the job made her miserable. She and 5 other people had kidney cancer, and couldn't prove it was from the cadmium in their system because the other people, that have since all died, were too afraid to persue the lawsuit. She worked there for 21 yrs until Dr.'s said she should retire. She died in 2000, and before she died she asked me to promise her that I would never work anywhere like that. Sorry about the depressing post....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My mom worked as a waitress when we were little then she went to nursing school and worked at a hospital then went into the billing aspect of it
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 5:07 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• yeah my mom always took me to her job & buiisness trips cause she was a property manager it was alot of fun
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My mother & Father both worked in a hospital & i was the oldest so i was left with my five siblings i am pretty much a 2nd mom to them as my dad calls it but it was a burden i wasnt able to be a kid, didnt have a close relationship with my parents & now that i am older i resent them alot idk wasnt a good experience for me
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 5:17 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My mom worked at a nursing home and at a restaurant!

TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 5:17 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Yes my mom worked nights when my parents were married so she was always home when we got up and when we went to sleep at night but when my dad left she had to change shifts - luckily we lived next door to my grandparents so my grandmother would come down when my mom had to leave for work and she'd make sure we got up and ready for school and my mom's work was right next to my school so I always went there after school until her shift ended.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 5:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My mom worked a full time job, a part time job, went to college and cleaned houses sometimes too. I was a latchkey kid, I got myself and my brother ready for school, I came home to an empty house, I warmed up dinner for us (my mom cooked for the week on Sunday). It taught me so much about being independent (maybe a little too much, I have a hard time leaning on anyone), that I have to work hard to get what my family needs. I didn't feel neglected or anything b/c when she was home, she was all into the mom thing. I remember so many vacations and little fun things she did b/c she put her all into her time with us.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 6:28 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Thanks for telling me your experiences because I am trying to think of the effect on my DD.
    idaspida

Comment by idaspida (original poster) at 6:00 PM on Jan. 7, 2011