Need help with naps

My daughter will be four months on the 18th. She won't take naps anymore. She was sleeping 10 to 12 hours a night and taking a three hour nap every morning. Now she's sleeping 8 hours a night with no substantial naps. I can get her down for about a half hour tops every couple of hours. Then by 5:30 - 6:00 she's exhausted. Now I'm not getting any sleep and I don't know what to do. Any ideas on how to fix her nap schedule?

HaydensMommy708

Asked by HaydensMommy708 at 9:49 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son did the same thing around that time. I think it's either teething or a growth spurt. Just do the best you can, it will pass!
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 9:52 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• my best suggestion is to run her to the ground. I mean like straight play or running around so that way she stays up for awhile but is getting stimulated so that hopefully she will want a nap. The way i did my son was i wanted him to take a nap every 90 minutes so when he had been up for 90 minutes i went and layed down with him. The first few times we didnt really get a nap per say it was more like quiet playing but he got use to laying down for a nap so after a week or so he actually did go to sleep. He is now 6 and a half months and he still has three naps a day for an hour each time and sleeps 10-12 hours at night.
    bc19

Answer by bc19 at 9:55 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I'm not sure it's a growth spurt. She's not eating very much... no where near what she was eating say a month ago. She is a little more fussy than usual, but not out right crying. She has been rubbing the back of her head near her ears and she is chewing on her fingers/hands and drooling a little bit. But the big thing is she won't sleep. Sometimes she will when I lay down with her
    HaydensMommy708

Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 9:57 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Rubbing her head and ears makes me think maybe ear infection. But the chewing and drooling is classic symptoms of teething. I would make a call to your doctor and see what they think.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 10:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Babies need to sleep roughly every 2 hours- give or take.. some babies are more, some are less..

She may be TOO tired by the time you're ready to put her down for a nap, so you may want to try rocking, bouncing, and holding her through the day to see when she naturally falls asleep in your arms..

And cat naps are fine.. She doesn't have to sleep for several solid hours.. If you go about your day with her, you'll probably find she conks out fairly often, for half hour spurts..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 10:17 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• About the growth spurt suggestion, my kids would eat like crazy for a week or two, then not seem to want much at all. Then, after another week or so, they would get bigger. My granddaughter just went thru this. She just turned 8 months. For the first 2 weeks of her 7th month, she ate lots more than normal, and slept more than normal. Then the next 2 weeks, she would barely eat at all. And she wanted to play thru naptime. At the 7 month mark, she wore 3-6 month size clothes. She nearly skipped the 6-9 month size, and now is in 12 month. By Christmas, I expect those will be tight.
    penny4j

Answer by penny4j at 10:50 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My daughter did the same thing when she was teething even with her ears, but they never caused her pain. Teething tablet they have them at walmart they work wonders. They are by the teething stuff. give then to her right before sleep.. the sllep thing i would try to keep her up like an hour later at night then pick two time to put her in her crib during the day like before lunch and before dinner. and only let her sleep for like an hour until she is used to it and you can let her cry herself to sleep, she will do it for two or three days then she will know that when she goes in her crib it's time for a nap
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 12:35 AM on Nov. 12, 2008