CAN a bikini be 'modest?'

I was talking to a mother who said that a certain religion required it's followers to dress modestly... but that most member also wore bikini's.... i live in ohio - farmville if you look up my profile. and we have conservative religions out in the country. (i grew up in the burbs) i see those women mowing the lawn on 90 degree days in long sleeves and skirts... how is a bikini modest?? how is that even possible??
oh yeah you should also know that i have nothing against bikinis - they are easier to put on and take off when you have to pee. but even the biggest-most-1950's bikini shows your tummy.... idk what do you think?

AmaliaD

Asked by AmaliaD at 5:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, I don't think they can. Nothing against them, I just don't think "modest bikini" is anything but an oxymoron. lol.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 5:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• In my opinion no.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 5:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Depends on your current social reality: in places and times it is been considered immodest for ankles to be shown while breasts were as irrelevant as wrists.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I think so, but it depends on the definition of Bikini you use. Typically a bikini merely refers to a two-piece swimsuit. This would include Tankini's with a tank top bottom and either shorts or a skort for the skirt. Now we have offshoots such as burquini's and modestkini's as well. They are still technically considered bikini's as they are 2 piece swimwear but don't reveal much at all. For example

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:53 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Modesty anymore can refer to a personality trait as much as to a type of clothing. Someone could wear a bikini, I think, and still be modest (most don't show much more than a one piece, just the tummy, and as a PP said, some even come in shorts and tanks, etc) as it can come down to how she acts, her attitude, her body language, etc...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Modesty is within the person to decide but I am leaning towards no.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 5:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Bikinis are not modest. Some one piece suits are not modest either.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 6:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• depends on if by bikini they mean 2 piece or the type of things you see at Spring Break. tankinis are technically bikinis and can be more modest than a lot of 1 piece bathing suits...and have you ever seen those Japanese string one piece bathing suits...theyre anything but modest.

personally, i only think string type bikinis are immodest, cause everything's hanging out in the open. but sporty bikinis are very modest. it really depends on the person and the society they live in.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:41 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I think bikini's can be modest, because I don't think there's anyting particularly sexy about the stomach. When a bikini covers everything and the person wearing it is not hanging out, it's totally fine, IMO.
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 9:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• note: i did not say 2 piece swimsuit... i did clarify --- are you talking about a tankini? she said no.. bikini --- a real one... not the duggar swimsuit type... and modesty IS in the mind of the person - i love that idea... but honestly... imagine pamela anderson in a bikini saying that - i am modest -in my mind - if it doesnt manifest into an actual change in practices it is just lip service.... any other thoughts about it??
    AmaliaD

Comment by AmaliaD (original poster) at 3:26 PM on Jan. 8, 2011