how can i get my son to listen to me?

I have a 6 yr old or he will be on nov 14 and he just will not listen to me ppl say that boys will be boys and thats what hes being that it will get better with time, well that hasnt happened yet, he doesnt have his dad in his life so im mom and dad and it get really frustrating when he just wont listen to me or he tells me no, i dont know if his dad not being there has something to do with that or not but im really trying hard to get him to listen to me can someone please help me?

momfromky

Asked by momfromky at 9:55 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Take his privledges away. Take toys away, desserts, game systems, going outside to play. Make him sit in the corner to think about his bad behavior, and DONT give me. Right now he is in controll of you, not the other way around. Kids are smart enough to know when a parent WONT follow through with a punishment, and are smart enough to know if they whine or cry long enough parents will give in. The trick is to stick to your rules and make him stick to them as well.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Ya..what vbruno says. :0)
    YOU MUST FOLLOW THROUGH!! Good luck!
    LizMomTo4Girls

Answer by LizMomTo4Girls at 10:49 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I don't know if this will help at all but I have a 4 year old son and he does the same thing. Okay I am not any help. LOL And he has a mom and dad here. I do think it is a lot boys will be boys. I put him in the corner for 4 mins (his age) and then explain why I am upset when his time is up. This has been helping but it took him a few days to understand it. If that doesn't work I make him lay in his bed and don't move off of it til why he can tell me why he misbehaved. I am still tring to figure it out too. Just somethings I have been tring.
    canada714

Answer by canada714 at 12:38 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Sometimes negative behavior could be his way of wanting more attention. I just had a baby back in March. My oldest son for awhile was jealous for my time. I know your situation is different. But try squeezing in time, (i.e. after dinner or school) where he has a 100% of your attention. Color, read, watch a movie, play lego's, do whatever he wants to do. I beleive a child is more likely to listen if they feel important and loved. Kids go though phases, not all boys or kids are alike. But just remind him that you love him, you love being his mom and insure him that he's important. And see if it helps. Plus if there's been any changes in his life, school or moving. That could also be the reason why he's acting up. Just think positive! Your his Mom, no one can comfort him like you can ;) Good luck to you!
    T.Beannie77

Answer by T.Beannie77 at 2:51 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• A son treating his mom w/ disrespect is not typical boys will be boys! Falling down, getting scrapes, bruises, and going back for more is boys will be boys. So girls listen better? Anyway, take his toys, tv, computer away, and see if it helps. Eventually, he'll want those things back. Let him have them back slowly, but the minute he acts up again, take everything away again, and maybe sell some stuff, or give it away to the salvo or something. It's tough, I have three boys myself, a SAHM, and my H isn't around much. If he can't mind his mom, he doesn't need any form of entertainment. Right? Those are privileges that should be earned.

McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 6:22 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I thank you very much for all the response, i spend as much time with my son as possible and im not making excuses but i have a full time job, take care of my mom, and go to school i dont have alot of time but i do spend a couple of hours with him doing things with him, im a good mother, i try my hardest to be, i try to spend as much time with him as i possible can ive tired the taking things away, and that has helped some, again thanks for all the responses.
    momfromky

Answer by momfromky at 2:24 PM on Nov. 18, 2008