Should it be illegal to not receive prenatal care?

Let us assume that you know you are pregnant, not one of those cases where people say they didn't know.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think it should be I am myself pregnant and I think that once you have a life within you . All steps should be taken to ensure that that life is developing and fine.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 5:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I don't know if it should be illegal, but I strongly feel for the baby's sake they certainly should have prenatal care.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 5:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• well abortions are legal so I really don't see not reaciving prenatal care ever becoming an illegal act
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 5:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I think that you should be seen at least once, just to make sure that everything seems to be safe with the pregnancy... after that, if you don't want to see an OB/GYN, so be it.

Women didn't see OB/GYNs regularly in the past, why should it be mandatory now?

--I personally saw my OB/GYN every appointment, and wouldn't risk not making regular doctors visits.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 5:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• No it should not be illegal. What would be next? Put her in jail/safe house to make sure she eats what you think she should?

What other freedoms are you willing to give up?
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Exactly spiritedwitch - then where does it stop? Do we then say it's illegal to drink soda or caffeine during pregnancy. "OMG she ate THREE cans of tuna this week alone; she's trying to poison her fetus w/ mercury - the horrors the horrors."

Look if someone wants to run that risk - that's their call. Their body; their fetus; their eventual infant to deal with health issues or not - you can not go around forcing everyone to live the way "you" feel is appropriate!
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 6:17 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Um no. It is against LAW is force someone into care if they don't want it. That is like saying the hospital can keep someone alive that has a DNR. It is even worse that someone should even suggest such a thing.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• While I think yo uneed prenattal care I do not think people should be forced into it. For some medical care is against thier beliefs and all that so.. I think thats taking goverment control a tad far.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 6:25 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Why? Women have been having babies for millions of years with no assistance. What peopke choose to do have no affect on you.

I'm 15 weeks and haven't seen a doctor. I make too much for state assistance and can't afford health care. My job (I actually work for the state) doesn't provide insurance for part-time empolyee's. I can't afford the$ 200 a month to be on my husband's insurance.
    so do u think I should quit my job so we can get assistance? Cause if I quit we're gonna need foodstamps too.....so what's ur solution?

Seriously inbox if u think u can help. I'd love to know your opinion.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 6:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• No. But I think pre-natal care should be available for ALL women not just those who are insured or can afford it.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 7:16 PM on Jan. 7, 2011