whats so bad about.....

America is the only place that looks down on co sleeping and extended breastfeeding along with baby wearing why is that? Whats so wrong with co sleeping and nursing your child? whats wrong with putting your baby in a sling if thats what baby likes? I dont understand why we have become a soicity where we judge mothers so much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would like to know that as well. But you'll open a whole can of worms lol asking on here:) Everyone has an opinion thats for sure.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Cosleeping undercuts the crib industry
    Nursing undercuts the formula and baby food industries
    Slings are cheaper than a swing and a car seat and a stroller
    And and and

Why do american women shave our legs? The invention of the safety razor paired with the new technology if billboards. Marketing controls culture by and large. The image if Santa claus came from a coke advert.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:24 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Oh the list could go on!! I don't understand why we got this way. Why we let big corporations tell us as mothers what is best for our children. II have people look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them my son was NOT born in a hospital but with a midwife and NO drugs. I just don't understand people. I know my body. I do not need a doctor to tell me I can't give birth. BULL!! I make my sons food and I'm looked down upon for it b/c people wonder whats the point it's easier to just buy it. A lot of people just go for the easy route. It's not about ease when it comes to my child! It's about what is best for him and thats Breastfeeding, sling wearing, cloth diapering, organic food making, and co-sleeping! I wish people would open up there eye's and trust thier instinctas as mothers instead of letting other people make decisions for them.
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 6:55 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• What's wrong with a baby sleeping in a crib? What's wrong with formula feeding a baby? What's wrong with choosing not to wear your baby like a tick? Like you said, I dont understand why we have become a soicity where we judge mothers so much.

Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 7:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• like a tick huh?
    sheilabug

Answer by sheilabug at 8:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• We co-sleep, still nursing at 16 months, and just today I put my daughter in the Ergo to take the dogs for a walk. I don't give a crap what anyone thinks. If they think it's horrible and I'm a hippy granola crunchy mom, good for them. Don't really care.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:23 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• There is NOTHING wrong with those things. They are just (unfortunately) not the societal norm, so many people react strangely when presented with them. Of course, you want to make sure you are practicing safe co sleeping, but but other then that, I have no issue with any thing you mentioned.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

There isn't anything "wrong" with the things you have mentioned, (besides calling a baby in a sling a tick) but the point is that a mom who parents the way you described is considered "normal" where a mom who parents like OP described is "crunchy" or even "crazy" and not allowing their child to grow up.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:06 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I don't see anything wrong with co-sleeping, my DD did until she was almost two. The only time I think it's too much as far as nursing goes is when the child is 5 and still nursing, if you still want your child getting the breast milk that's fine but I think at that age they should be drinking from a cup. And I used a sling for my DD for a very long time. She liked it so I didn't stop til she started walking really good. I didn't care what other people thought about it.
    CadincesMom

Answer by CadincesMom at 11:12 PM on Jan. 8, 2011