• In the Spotlight:

Could it be a false positive?

Ok so my hubby and I have been trying for 1 2nd baby for 7months. We went to a doc and she was no help. My cycle is a little off but that's normal for me. The 1st day of my last period was June 18 and the last day was June 22 (5days). We had sex during my period, after, when I ovulated and 10 days straight since last Friday (June 27). I took a HPT today (July 7) and it said pregnant. Then to be sure a took another that said not pregnant. What's going on? Is it to early to tell? Or was it a false Pos?

ConnersMom06

Asked by ConnersMom06 at 3:59 AM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i would personaly take like 5 more LOL... sorry i wasnt much help but i wish you the best of luck!! :)
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:07 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Only a doctor with a blood test can tell, probably. If it is on the line of being too early, then the home tests can have false positives, and false negatives.
    ella_mom

Answer by ella_mom at 4:40 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• they normally say that you cant really tell until 5 days before ur next period... it just might be to soon.
    enjen

Answer by enjen at 5:35 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• What kind of tests were the two tests? Were they different kinds? If so, that could be the issue. Generally digital tests can't read your HCG levels as soon as the non-digital,, and the flat tests (usually sold at $1 stores!) are even more accurate than non-digital. In fact, if you get a test taken to confirm pregnancy at a doctors office and they do a pee test instead of a blood test, they use the flat tests like you get at $1 stores (my midwife last pregnancy is the one who told me that these are more accurate earlier!). If they were in fact the same kind of test then I would give it some more time and take another test, or get a *blood test* by a doctor.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:02 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I heard you can get a False Negative, but NEVER a False Positive! Call a Pharmacy and mention what I said, or your Nurse and see what they say. Good Luck Momma. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• False positives are highly unlikely. It's probably too early based on when you had your last period for a negative test to be reliable--I don't know if blood tests can be done that soon and be more sensitive--that would be a question for the doctor's office. I would ask about it and if it's too soon for the blood test, take one of the non-digital ones that says it can be done as soon as 5 days before your missed period.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• WELL REMEMBER THE HGC LEVEL WILL BE MORE WHEN YOU HAVE NOT USED BATHROOM FOR A WHILE SO IF SECOND TEST WAS IMMEDIATLY AFTER FIRST IT MIGHT NOT SHOW UP...BUT IF YOU HAD ONE SAY POSITIVE THEN I WOULD ASSUME YES...CONGRATS....TAKE ANOTHER IN MORNING..FIRT PEE...GOOD LUCK
    BUSYMAMA5

Answer by BUSYMAMA5 at 1:53 AM on Jul. 9, 2008