Need quick answers about heart problems/ high blood pressure

Okay, my hubby (only 24) has very high blood pressure problems. He is on a high dosage of Avapro, which keeps it regulated well & he is usually fine. He's at work right now & just texted me to say that he is feeling short of breath & having pain in the middle of his chest & back. Does this sound like heart problems? I'm so young that I have NO experience with this. I called to check on him & he sounded okay... He said he was alright for now & he would call me back in a little while. Should I make him leave work & go to the ER? I'm so worried now...

heather.huckaby

Asked by heather.huckaby at 10:13 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Just for Fun

• It could be a number of things but since he has a history of high blood pressure I would have him see a doctor as soon as he can. He could have had a mini heart attack. Most of the time when a man has a heart attack it is very painful but it can also go unnoticed for just muscle pains in your chest or back. I had a teacher in high school who had the same kind of situation and he drove himself to the ER to find out that he had a mild heart attack even though he felt fine by the time he got there. My father in law today was admitted to the VA ER because of swelling of his legs and they said it was heart failure...so sometimes the usualy numbness of the left side of the body or left arm and extreme chest pain isn't the only affect a heart attack will have.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 10:41 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Does he have the ability to check his blood pressure at work? It could be heart issues and if he has a history of blood pressure problems he should probably be checked out. Ask him if he is still in pain.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:15 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I would send him to the ER... my Hubby is an EMT and i hear a lot of these calls, he usually takes them to be checked out. Better safe than sorry!!! I'd force him.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I have high blood pressure and heart problems. that doesn't sound good. have him go to the ER.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 11:17 PM on Nov. 11, 2008