Purely Cosmetic

Is having a vagina purely a cosmetic thing to you? Is having a penis purely a cosmetic thing to your significant other (if that person is a male)?

I doubt many would say yes. Yet many say gender reassignment surgery is purely cosmetic. But the main purpose of GRS for many is to have either a penis or vagina. So why is it purely cosmetic for transgender people only?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 5:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't get the question. But I think of my vagina as something apart of me and have not ever thought of messing with it surgically. After having my DD I would not want to go through another healing process!
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 6:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• It's not a medically necessary procedure.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Why not momof030404?
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 6:07 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Employers shouldn't be forced to provide insurance coverage for sex changes.Just like they shouldn't for a woman to have bigger boobs.Tax payers most certainly should never have to pay for this but we do for some prisoners! Enough is enough, they can tape a dildo to themselves if they want a penis! or pay for it themselves.
    Anonymous

• I don't know that I would consider it a cosmetic surgery, but I do consider it an elective surgery. I agree that it's not medically necessary.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• QuinnMae - I will ask you the same thing. Why do you not consider it medically necessary?
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 6:12 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Getting a boob job or a face lift is totally different than sex reassignment surgery - wanting bigger boobs is NOT the same as feeling like a man (or woman) on the inside but having the "wrong" sex organs. Unless you have gone thru that there is no way you could say with any sense of decency or accuracy that what they're doing is "purely cosmetic" asshats!!
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• They won't die if they don't get the opposite sex organ thats why it's not medically ness. and I agree that if they want it done they can pay for it themselves.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:16 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• tnmomoffive - So only things that will kill you are medically necessary in your opinion? So any surgeries for anything that is not immediately life threatening is not medically necessary in your opinion?
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 6:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Just because you don't like your equipment doesn't mean you get a whole new set compliments of everyone else. If a transgendered person wants to purchase health insurance to cover the cost of their elective surgery then good for them. If your organs perform the basic function for which they are for there is no medical need.

I suppose it would all depend on what you consider medically necessary. I suppose that's where the debate is. And where exactly does one draw a line?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:20 PM on Jan. 7, 2011