At birthday parties..

do your guests expect to be fed a meal?

Also, do you feed them a meal? Or just cake, ice cream, and snacks?

AddyRF

Asked by AddyRF at 6:09 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• I normally have a party at 2, and put snacks will be served ont he invitation. If you have a party at 12 or 5, I think they expect food.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 6:10 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• If the party is held at a usual meal time then yes, I'd certainly fix a meal. But otherwise, no, not at all. Ice cream and cake, and a beverage, no other snacks.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 6:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• depends. if it's during lunch or dinner hours, yes, i make food. if it's between meal hours, i put finger foods out. of course everyone expects cake :)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:12 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Its not during meal time hours and there will be around 100 guests. I was told "if I expect them to bring my daughter a present, then I should feed them a meal", not just cake, ice cream and snacks. I just cannot afford that and don't think it's required to feed them a meal
    AddyRF

Comment by AddyRF (original poster) at 6:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• 100 people at a child's party? Wow, I would never consider doing that!

For a typical child's birthday party, I am totally in the ice cream and cake group.
    ihatetocook

Answer by ihatetocook at 6:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• just do some finger foods, make sandwiches, tuna, ham and cheese, peanut butter for the kids, cream cheese sandwich, ect, and each sandwich into 4 triangles. deviled eggs, cut up fruit, cut up veggies, don't forget the dip, pigs in a blanket, chips & dip, soda, juice, water, ect. don't listen to whoever told you that. you have the party the way you want to have it. GL!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:29 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Yes, its alot huh? I come from a divorced family who both remarried so there is about 100. Then there is DHs family, which is big too but they don't come around :(

Oh and this is just aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents. It would be alot more if I invited the extend family and friends
    AddyRF

Comment by AddyRF (original poster) at 6:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• No meal, cake and ice cream. If it's not meal time they are on their own. It's pretty rude of them to expect food. Geez.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• No meal. At my daughter's 1st birthday I served cupcakes, chips and dip, watermelon, and those ham and cheese tortilla roll ups that kids seem to really like. I think that's it. Although, I did specify no presents on the invitation. Mostly because my daughter didn't really need anything more than what we were getting her and I was inviting a few moms from our playgroup that have 4+ kids, so I didn't want them to feel like they needed to bring a present when they have 4 kids to feed.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:17 PM on Jan. 7, 2011