Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Advice.

Being single and no longer with the father of my child due in do you go about making the decision of what last name to give the baby and also about the birth I put his name on it and not let him sign it or leave it off all together?


Asked by elynnk06 at 10:37 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • This is a hard actually going through this right now...Im on the side of it where i really dont want his last name to be attached to hers for legal reasons. When the mom doesnt have the dads last name but the child does people who do your paperwork are bound to get something wrong and unless this baby is planning on living with her dad full time where he can be the one to explain then there is no real reason. Keep it simple and only use your last name, it will really make your life so much easier. If for some reason in the future you want to add his last name you can petition the court to add it. But stay simple, it will end up saving you from doing alot of extra paperwork and explaining.

    Answer by MamaAnnie87 at 1:37 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

  • The father has to sign it in order for his name to be on it.

    Answer by kristynej at 10:38 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

  • I'd use your last name and put him on.... he does need to sign it I think.

    Answer by AshJoe05 at 10:41 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

  • I gave my daughter her fathers last name and now I wish I hadn't. She wants to change her last name to my husbands (he's been there for her since she was 4 months old). Her father (who chooses not to have an active part in her life unless it's convenient for him) won't allow it. It makes it harder on my daughter emotionally. She wants so badly to have her daddy's last name like her little sisters do and even though she understands that we can't just change it easily, it's still hard on her to not have that one thing that she feels has been missing for so long.


    Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

  • If he is not longer around. Go ahead and put your name down, at least you know you will be around for you baby

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

  • Ask a lawyer to know for sure. It is easier if the baby has your last name while growing up. and it dosnt stop you from getting child support from the dad either.

    Answer by vbruno at 10:56 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

  • my dad left my mom when she was 3 months preggo for me, i had her last name and no one in the fathers spot on my birth certificate...i met my dad at 14 thought about changing my name and decided there was no use since i was going to get married one day and change it anyway...your choice though...

    Answer by davidsmomma20 at 10:57 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

  • first off. dont let him sign it. and he doesnt have to either. if he signs it, in the future if he wants to, he can take your daughter for full custody. if you dont want anything like that to happen, dont put him on it. ur baby should have ur last name.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

  • This is a decision you and your baby's father should make. I know it sounds weird but he too had something to do with the making of this child. If he agrees to give the child his last name, child support is in your corner. If he doesn't agree to sign it, you know where his mind is at, and this saves you a lifetime of grief with him. Pray about it.

    Answer by mrskwilliams at 11:20 PM on Nov. 11, 2008