Is this okay?

My son is 2, he has recently started throwing major fits at bedtime. We have a routine and all, but now he hates sleep. I have tried everything, he just laughs. Yesterday I spanked him and put him back in after fighting sleep for an hour, and he finally stayed in bed. I'm not trying to make him sleep, but he needs to stay in bed. my husband has been telling me a pop on the butt would work, but I didnt want to, but it really did work. What do you all think? Is a spanking okay at bedtime?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son is also 2 and he used to fight at bed time and a spank on the butt or hand worked for us he sometimes still fights but he eventually gives in and its not a big to do anymore
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 6:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• It is absolutely okay. Children have to learn that their parents are in authority over them. Like you say, you can't make him sleep, but you can make him stay in the bed. It's how we disciplined our children, and it does work. You didn't really hurt him, but he will be more obedient now that he knows you will spank his butt. I say good for you!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• its ok to spank your child that is why they have a butt. its not something you should always do but when its really needed and nothing else is working im all for it. both my kids went through that stage and both got a spanking and it stopped. dont get me wrong both were still in diapers so it didnt hurt them it just shocked them.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 6:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I don't think so, but that's just me. I think being hit before bed is a terrible way to go to sleep.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:31 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I personally dont agree with hitting kids. Personal opinion. I've never hit my son and I won't. I go with the supper nanny way of doing things. Youre stubborn and you keep putting him back over and over again for as long as it takes. I think that teaches a child youre more in charge and that they cant outlast you then losing your temper and teaching them that hitting is an okay way to deal with that. It's just down to how much patience you have. My son is 3 now and there have been nights where he won't go to sleep for hours. It's just me putting him back over and over again. But he has learned that I'll stick to things alot longer than he is willing to and he should just listen to me the first time.
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 12:48 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I think if he takes naps you might want to consider trying not to put him down for a nap. Then when it is bed time he won't resist sleep. Music has always helped my children fall asleep and they too were reluctant to go to sleep exactly when I set their bed time.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 1:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2011