Does winter time make a person hungrier?

I have been thinking about food a lot lately and how good it tastes. I can not just have a bowl of ice cream I have to warm up a brownie, put vanilla ice cream on top, and sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs.
Why can't it just be simple?

idaspida

Asked by idaspida at 6:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Lack of sunlight and vitamin D and lack of out door activities puts us in a slow mode and wanting comfort foods and just more food in general, we are trying to keep warm and wanting to hibernate so we want more food again. Keep a clear mind.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 6:55 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I'm sure it does as we are trying to keep our bodies warm from all the cold so we eat
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:55 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I don't know, but if you figure it out, please let all the rest of us know the answer! Maybe our bodies need more warmth in the winter, and burning off all those extra calories produces more heat????
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• IDK, i know all i WANT to do is eat & be lazy...i blame it on cold weather & less sunlight. Maybe it is the winter....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I'm lately aways hungry.. I hate it! And I don't have much of anything I want or need. But I am getting my taste back after 3 Brutal Chemos!!! But for sure its a yes here!! Best of luck curbing it if you need to!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 9:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• i think we over eat in the winter. i hear more people claim depression in the winter from lack of fresh air and natural light. and a lot of people turn to comfort foods when they're sad. not to mention the winter holidays are the best binge time
    CaitWillowNBaby

Answer by CaitWillowNBaby at 10:28 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Yes. Naturally speaking, your body requires more food to produce heat to help you survive the cold, harsh winter. Unfortunately for our waistlines, we have heaters, which means we need to control our impulse eating.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2011