In laws how do you handle yours?

I am married to a very close knit family who in the first year of our marriage seemed to love the idea of me . Somehow my mother in law now sees me as a threat to her and her son's relationship. I do not speak enough spanish to understand all the arguments but enough to know that she thinks I control my husband every thought and movement. We decided to go see my family since I am pregnant and will not be able to fly she got mad but she stays 15 mintues away from us and my family lives 7 hours away.

Point is she is now starting to be an every day argurment about what she thinks I am trying to take her son away. Because knwo that I am pregnant he comes home to relief me fron our son and does not come to hang out at her house to sit down stairs and drink with his jobless brother.

How do you all handle insane in laws?

karing4elmas

Asked by karing4elmas at 6:50 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• You pretty much have to ignore them. Treat her nicely and let her throw all the fits she wants to throw. Maybe she will tire of them if nobody responds.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:53 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I would say let your husband handle his Mother. He needs to let her know that you are his family now and you will soon have a baby together.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:57 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Your inlaws are your husband's responsibility to put in line; not yours. He needs to man up and let his mother know how it is going to be. You and your children come before her now.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 7:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Oh, and you need to be as sweet as possible to her.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 7:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Don't be selfish. Say she does things that are out of focus, be nice. Don't be cruel and expect not to get it back, some people are fake all their lives only later they don't have any love because ''they'' weren't taught right. If I were you I'd start to say to her lets play some cards, a game, do some craft together, and if nothing works just be nice. Offer her some snack or food or something but just be plain nice.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 7:16 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Stay away - it's the only way I can deal with my MIL. No amount of niceness was ever enough for that woman, finally I just gave up. Now, my life has a lot less stress in it. Good luck!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Ladies I appreciate you all taking time out to help me ............................... I am going to try to kill her with kindness . I am 18 weeks pregnant with twins so I am not going to let her bug me at all. I love his family but the mohter seems to run them all . No one had a problem til I had my son and she did not like that I was raising him with all the sweets and junk food. I stood up to her then when I told her that I have issues with some foods so til I know that he does not my son will not be allow with you til you respect the decisions that your son and I have choosen. I just need her to realize that I am going to do what is best for my family I will never keep them away from her I just need to be sure my son is safe from things.
    karing4elmas

Comment by karing4elmas (original poster) at 7:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I agree with Scout_Mom, stay away....I have absolutely no relationship with my DH's mother or siblings....neither does DH. And our lives are drama free because of it!
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I don't handle them I ignore them as best I can! It would be much easier to do if mil was not living with us right now uuggg! And the Spanish thing drives me crazy too!
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 9:07 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I stay away and only come around on Thanksgiving!
    honeychicks

Answer by honeychicks at 10:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2011