Which are best: single sex schools or mixed schools?

I personally prefer to send my children to mixed schools until high school then single sex at high school. Purely because boys and girls learn differently and they have higher grade averages at single sex schools around our area due to this reason I believe. Also of course my husband is very protective of our girls.

What are your views?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• My 9 year old cousin knows about sex...so...news flash.
    Same sex high school is a little to late.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 7:17 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• There are studies that show if the group is given a manipulative (something to hold or use, like a tool) the boys will dominate time with it. But that is with younger children. the best school i have ever seen was in baltimore, it is called Calvert School - private/ very expensive, if i lived there i couldnt afford it unless i taught there. And they were a mixed sex school but had the genders split for reading and math in elementary school. they had homeroom and specials together for socialization. It was an idea that seemed to be really working. Some time together, Some time apart. it is the only school i have ever seen do that.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:19 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• That sounds amazing AmaliaD, I'd love something like that round here. It sounds like a great idea, having the opportunity to socialise with boys and have lessons separately.

Sex means gender not actual sex. Of course children know about sex, I don't understand your answer at all to Chloesmom1125 :S
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:20 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Both have their ups and downs. Separating them can be good academically. However, it can cause social issues due to not knowing how to socialize with the opposite sex and gender.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Girls and boys are gonna want to meet people of the oposite sex no matter what. I would rather my child meet boys who are classmates then meet boys who are much older somewhere else
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 8:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I think that mixed gender schools are the best. I mean when kids get out in the real world they can't just separate themselves from the opposite sex. But that's just my opinion. I say do whatever you think is best for your child.
    CadincesMom

Answer by CadincesMom at 11:02 PM on Jan. 8, 2011