My milk came in, but my baby won't take my breast!! Help!

I got my milk yesterday and have been bfig my by baby since she was born 3 days ago. It got difficult for her when she was trying so hard to find collustrum and just wasn't getting it. :( She lost 6 percent of her weight, so not too big of a deal. However, since I got my milk, she has had maybe 2 good feeding where I know she emptied out my breasts. BUT even though she knows this, she WON'T try to latch on anymore. It got so bad last night because she had her first good feeding at 1 in the morning but was soooo fussy afterwards. She didn't sleep or want to eat until 6 in the morning and it was non stop crying. She was only happy if I was holding her. Finally, my husband had to go get formula. She drank the little bit of formula he made for her, and slept like a baby. Afterwards when she woke up, I offered the breast and she took it beautifully. Then 3 hours later, refused my breast again! After 4 hours of not wanting to eat, (She was sooooo sleepy!!) she had 2 ounces of formula and ate that. Why would she not take my breast before any formula was ever offered? I finally got my milk and thought I would not have problems having her drink it. Is all hope lost? How do I get her to want to try and drink from my breast?

Miss-Baby-Baker

Asked by Miss-Baby-Baker at 7:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try calling a lactation from the hospital you gave birth or if you have WIC the WIC office has one. They will be happy to have you in and help you. Good Luck.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:25 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Sometimes if they are given a bottle they will get lazy because its so easy to get the milk from there. I agree with mommy of two call the lactation consultant at the hospital and she will give you over the phone tips and if you need to see her for more help she will arrange it. Good luck and congrats on the new addition!!
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 8:01 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• She might be too hungry and nursing is too much work for her. Try offering long before she cues or cries. 3 hours is honestly way too long for most newborns (although it is fine for some). She also may be having trouble latching on to an engorged breast... you can try expressing a little off before latching her.

Either way, stop giving bottles. If you want to supplement, do it with a cup, syringe or tube...
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:17 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My guesses would be that your breasts are very engorged and difficult for her to latch on to, and that the bottle is easier right now. *I* would NOT offer anything besides the breast. You might try pumping or hand expressing a little bit before nursing, to relieve engorgement and make latching easier. No, all hope is NOT lost. You DO have a little bit of work ahead of you. I would suggest getting in touch with your local La Leche League, as they can offer more hands-on help. Of course, I'll do my best to help you via internet :) Again, I'll say that in your shoes, I would NOT offer any formula or bottles, as this can not only affect supply, but also interfere with establishing the nursing relationship. I hope that I was able to help you in some way, and I hope that you will continue to ask me and the other ladies any other questions you have.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:09 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Oh, yes, I agree with Leanne on the feeding times. At 3 days old, I would be offering like, every hour, and more often if she demands it. This will ensure that she is not too hungry to want to try and nurse (as Leanne said) and will also encourage your supply.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Stop the formula! No bottles. No pacifiers.

Your breasts are very full and the milk is coming out really hard and fast. It's a bit of work for her so the formula is easy. Here is what to do:

1. Join a breast feeding group here. They are awesome. Women helping women succeed because breastf ending is awesome.
    2. Hand express a little milk to releive some of the pressure before you offer her the breast. Latching will be easier. She will nurse better.
    3. Stop looking at clocks. Don't count feedings. Don't schedule. Just feed on demand. Offer the breast often.

Her weight loss is normal and healthy. That is what is supposed to happen. She is feeding well at the breast. There is no reason to go to formula. You can do this!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Stop the formula! It will make it harder in the long run. If she wont latch on you can hand express some milk and give it to her on a spoon. Watch the video here
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/HandExpression.html

Spend as much time as you can with baby skin to skin with you on your chest (you with shirt off, baby in only a diaper)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I agree with all those ladies! Great replies.
    I know that breastfeeding is hard. Been there done that! I ended up quitting and regretting it.
    But I was also incredibly successful with my 3rd and 4th babies! You can do this!
    I am a CLC and if you want, you can PM me with any questions you have.
    Best advice I can give you it to find a good lactation consultant or counselor to see you in person. Usually it takes a professional watching you nurse to find out what the difficulties truly are.

Good Luck !
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:19 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Miss Baby Maker, do you have any updates for us? I'm curious as to how its going.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:35 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Sorry it took a while to update. I did express some milk out before feeding her, and did soften my breast enough for her to latch on. :) I will buy one or two bottles because I need them for my breast pump, so hopefully that will soften them a lot more faster than if I do it myself. Thank you so much for your responses!
    Miss-Baby-Baker

Comment by Miss-Baby-Baker (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Jan. 8, 2011