How do you deal with a friend who is a drama queen?

I am a cool, collected kind of person. When problems happen I am about finding out how to fix them. I was a single mom and just learned that "shit happens" no matter what or how hard you try to make everything perfect it just happens. So deal with it. I have a friend (very good friend) but she is the most dramatic person I know. No matter how big or small the problem she makes it out to be like she is the only person it has ever happened to. One morning she had a flat tire, this is me- "no biggy, I'll take you to work and can pick you up when your done, unless you can call the local garage and have them change the tire" this is her "oh, my god, why would this happen, what am I going to do, I just don't believe this, oh, my god!" all while gasping like it is the worst thing in the world. What's even funnier is her dd is the same way (23 yrs old)and every time she calls my friend she has some big drama going on and my friend will say to me "oh my god she is such a drama queen, I don't know where she gets it from!" LOL and she is serious she has no idea she is this way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• well i have a friend who is like that too. i just keep in mind that is what her personality is so i take what she says with a grain of salt lol. i also avoid talking to her when i'm really stressed because i just don't feel like hearing about her drama when i have problems of my own. we also have alot of mutual friends and we all joke around about her 'drama' too!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I try not to have friends who are drama queens. But when I must interact with people who ARE drama queens I turn up my calm factor and show them the way it ought to be done! LOL!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 7:27 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Some folks just do not handle stress or a break in normal cycle very well..like your dramatic friend.Some are so bad with it that they go into a real panic mode and cannot think clearly enough to come up with a solution.I guess thats why she has you! lol
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:31 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Just her way of getting attention ....

tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I understand what tnmomofive is saying but think I tend to agree with tasches. She is one of those people who is loud and likes to call attention to herself when she is out.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• my HUSBAND is a total Drama Queen. he thinks everything is the end of the world. im like a duck, it rolls off my back. im thinking its learned in their childhood. his mother is the same way. :)
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 7:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• You are right anonymous sometimes the person really is just seeking attention.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• i had a friend who was a drama queen every time we would go to a party she would make a scene. after so many years of putting up with it, i decided i wasn't gonna party anymore and i cut her loose i also change my phone number. i ran into her in a beauty salon i ignored her but she came and ask me what she ever did to me i just told her everything happen for a reason, she gave me her number we only for a day or two then we stop talking again.
    soraya14

Answer by soraya14 at 11:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• aw man, i honestly feel so bad for you- because about nine months ago (and for two years before that) i could have written the EXACT same post, legit. anyway- the only reason i don't deal with her and her drama now is because i came to the hard realization that i could no longer be friends with her. we were best friends, the inseperable kind, but i just couldn't handle her drama. i even called her out on it (which is something you could do if you haven't already) and it didn't work- she'd cut the BS for a while, but then i realized it was a part of her and who she is- and i didn't want that around me or my daughter. that's what worked for me, i wish you the best of luck.
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 2:22 AM on Jan. 8, 2011