Should I be scared about an epidural?

I am 9 days away from my due date and I am really scared about getting an epidural more then i am to push. Did anyone else feel this way?

CeeLaureeetax3

Asked by CeeLaureeetax3 at 8:01 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• So don't get one.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• i think that alot of women are scared, but my hubby is an anesthesiologist so i just asked him all of my questions/concerns lol. you can always call the hospital and request a meeting with someone from anesthesiology dept. to ask questions and calm your nerves. gl!

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• they numb the area before they even put the needle in so you don't feel it
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 8:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Really not a big deal at all and once you get that baby in your arms you'll forget all about it!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 8:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I was scared to deliver without one, since my SIL progressed too fast to get one. I had no problem with either of mine. Ask questions before labor, because there will not be time when the time comes.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• yea ik they numb it but im still scared.
    CeeLaureeetax3

Comment by CeeLaureeetax3 (original poster) at 8:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Nope. The anesthesiologist is the person who does them and it's his job, it's what he studied in school, he had better know what he's doing. If you want ask the nurses when you get to the hospital about the folks on staff, they should be able to tell you what's what. It's only going to hurt for a few seconds and then you're fine. Good luck and congrats!

LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 8:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I had my baby by emergency c-section so I don't think I had time to process to be scared. I did have a mini freakout on the table, only because I wasn't ready to have my kid yet, lol. But the epi of course made it so I didn't feel a thing. Although I thought I was sitting up and I was really laying down, lol.

Just as princessbeth79 says ask questions, it's the only way to get over your fear.
    bewitchedmom

Answer by bewitchedmom at 8:07 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I was nervous about it for 2 reasons. I was worried the needle would hurt and I was terrified of getting a catheter. My plan was to try as long as I could to stay natural but I reserved the option of an epidural if I wanted it. Well, I ended up wanting it, and by the time I was waiting for the anesthesiologist to come give it to me I was in so much pain that I was not at all worried about a giant needle in my back. I honestly don't remember it hurting at all, I did feel kind of an electric jolt sensation down one leg but that really only lasted one or two seconds. And the catheter I didn't feel at all because the epidural was done. I actually had to have another catheter a few days after delivery, with no epidural obviously, and it didn't hurt at all. Anyway, even with an epidural I felt a lot of pain at the end of delivery so it didn't just erase all feeling, it's still good to have plans for coping with pain. Good luck!!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:10 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• then don't get one. You certainly don't have to and you might not even need it!
    Who is your support person? Do you have a good girl friend or Doula to be with you in labor?
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 8:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2011