Very controversial question, skip if you don't want to debate please.

I have a really hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that some people don't believe in God. Not just "my" God, but any God.
That really boggles my mind. Could you explain your beliefs? Only if you are willing to share, I understand this can be a hot topic and am not trying to be bitchy. The question is: Why don't you believe in God? I believe in God because I feel a connection with God. I know some people will understand that and some will not.

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 10:49 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am going to close this question before it gets out of control. Thank you!
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:09 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Ppl don't believe in God because they have never been in His presence and they choose to stay cold hearted and not eccept the truth.
    Anonymous

• Anon 10:55 First, it's ACCEPT. Except has a totally different meaning. Chosing not to believe in something for which there is no proof has nothing to do with whether or not someone has a cold heart. I have met PLENTY of cold hearted "Christians" and plenty of very charitable and kind atheists. Stop judging people. Even your jesus says that.

As for me, I'm a Pantheist. I believe that the Divine is everything and everything is Divine. There is no all-knowing, all-seeing personable figure dictating what happens. With all the evil in the world, I can't imagine a personable figure controlling everything, and if such a creature exists, I certainly wouldn't want to follow him/her/it.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 10:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• awesome judgmental answer there anon 10:55 *insert sarcasm here* WTF! are you psychic and now read the minds of everyone?

in answer to the original question at hand:

some people just have a more linear way of thinking and want proof for everything. KWIM? There is no scientific proof that there is a god.
    Anonymous

• Anon 9:55 -- Keep up the good work. You're making a LOT of people who believe in God look intelligent and tolerant. *rolls her eyes* Glad you're not on MY side.

Anyway, to the OP. You feel a connection with a god. I don't. It's not for lack of "soul" searching. It just doesn't work for me. It doesn't all make sense and feel right to me. I am not cold hearted. I am loving, giving and fortunately more tolerant then some people who say they believe. I am happy, I don't feel I am missing anything. I'm not lost. I don't need to be saved. I don't need a god to give me a moral compass. I love my life, my husband and my kids. I've experienced hardship and happiness, and I weather it all alone with my family - confidently.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• "Big bang theory."
    Anonymous

• I think people believe basically what they are taught from childhood. I do agree that there are many cold-hearted Christians that are gossip mongers and actually spread more hate then love. The God that I grew up believing in would be mortified at the way people talk to each other, are so hell-bent on hurting one another, forgot their manners, are mean, hateful, spiteful. I also think we all need something or someone to believe in and God gives that comfort to alot of folks. The ones that do not believe in God or a God, are non-believers in their own right. We should not judge them just as they should not judge us that believe.
    Anonymous

• OK rephrase stay cold hearted to stay in Darkness!  THANKS! Actually I meant to say Hardened hearts --sorry I responded to soon. And accept ----you are right a willingness to receive the truth--of course what I know to be truth.

Anonymous

• Wow. Thanks for your answers. I have some more understanding. I am not trying to change your minds or convert. It is nice to be able to just HEAR you. Without judging. I was not raised a Christian, but became one later. I do feel a connection with God. I could not live my life without it. I appreciate you all taking the time to answer me.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:14 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• In college i took a class called critical thinking, a class based on arguments...one of the ones was the argument for the existence of god....i wish i could remember them....

However, i do question his existence, just always have, i grew up in a southern baptist church so i got to hear all that for years, i have never understood things i could not measure, see touch or feel, but i am a bit jealous of others that feel it, they describe it as amazing, but i am not there...maybe one day.

But i must say, i was disappointed in the first answer, it seemed like she was judging me for not feeling as her, i consider myself kind and understanding, raising my daughter to say the blessing, she was baptized at 2 months, i just don't want my beliefs to punish her...when she is old enough, she will go to preschool at a local church and when she is old enough, she can make her own decision.
    KEHMom

Answer by KEHMom at 1:25 AM on Nov. 12, 2008