What are your thoughts on the mass animal deaths? What do you think is the cause of it?

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=201817256339889828327.0004991bca25af104a22b&ll=28.921631%2C5.273438&spn=141.542315%2C12.304687&z=2&iwloc=0004991c2e41cf55affcb

Just looking to hear everyones thoughts and opinions on the mass animal deaths that are currently occuring worldwide. Just want to hear what everyone speculates/thinks is going on. No judgements!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I honestly have no idea! I've heard many theories though.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 8:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• The reality, say biologists, is that these mass die-offs happen all the time and usually are unrelated .Federal records show they happen on average every other day somewhere in North America. Usually, we don't notice them and don't try to link them to each other.

Especially appreciated this bit of the article:

"The irony is that mass die-offs — usually of animals with large populations — are getting the attention while a larger but slower mass extinction of thousands of species because of human activity is ignored, Wilson said."

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• The world is ending.

No, I'm kidding. It happens a lot.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:15 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Wow! Interesting...I have no idea!
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 8:07 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Vapor trails, pollution, chemical testing... it could be a number of things.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 8:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Alien invasion...

Actually, there's probably a logical explanation. Most likely the fish dying are a result of either disease or some sort of poisoning. I've heard logical reasons for the birds, etc too. It's weird, but these things do happen more often than we think. Idk why they're suddenly getting so much media attention right now.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:31 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Weird weather, sunspots, pollution--not sure but it seems like these things happen in a regular cycle of 10-11 years. Of course, I think the news media like to play up anything that will keep us anxious and feeling threatened. Sells more papers, if it bleeds it leads, etc.
    ChezBelle

Answer by ChezBelle at 10:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• It can't be fire works. How do you explain that it's only one type of bird and fish?
    emilysmom1966

Answer by emilysmom1966 at 11:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I kind of wonder if someone isn't working on a chemical weapon and they are testing it to make sure it can't be detected.... in which it hasn't so far.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 8:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• well the recent bird deaths have to do with NYE fireworks and the tornadic weather conditions that populated the area that night. the birds got spooked by fireworks & crashed into eachother, buildings, etc. the fish ones are very common and i think its pollution related. this kinda thing has been happening for years...my question is why has the media only recently started caring about it?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2011