have u ever had a friend who stayed at your house when they fell on hard times but overstayed "their welcome" ?

how did u handle it?

maya123

Asked by maya123 at 8:15 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• Well, it was my cousin. I tried gently to encourage her to do things to get herself independent again, but she quietly ignored my every effort. Then a guy we've known since we were little came back on the scene and they talked for several months. They spent time together when we drove up to visit family. We came back. He proposed. She saved money (which was easy since she had a job and never paid us rent, food, utilities, or anything else) and we helped her get moved back up there.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 8:31 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Well I have actually been the friend that over stayed. We were moving to another town and were trying to buy a house. We already had one picked out so we thought we would only be there about 6 weeks. Turns out the deal fell through and we had to start over from square one again and we ended up staying 6 months. We felt bad, and knew it was straining their family but they were nice to never kick us out, even though we knew they wanted to, we had no where to go. The part that was hard was the fact that it was a standard three bedroom house, with 10 people living in it. They are married with 3 kids (4 and 3 year old twins) we are married with 2 kids, (1, and 2) and they lived with his mother who needs care. His mother had the big master bedroom and bath to herself. The 5 kids shared a room. They gave their bedroom to us, and slept in the living room the whole time with no privacy. I regret it, but am very thankful!
    busywithbabies

Answer by busywithbabies at 8:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• O M G...my mil! She came with all her baggage of sort, without asking, 4 months ago. She is such an unhappy stressed out person! My dh finally agreed this week she has got to go!
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 9:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Haha, no but my husband was my best friend in high school, and about halfway through my first semester of my second year at college I came and visited with him for a weekend and ended up staying for good... :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• yes i had a friend that was kinda upity and by that i mean to good for everything and when you want something it has to be ok with her kind pof. well the last straw was when i told her i had to get in the shower for my apt at 7 so when i got up at 7 to get ready she was up at 650 in the shower and puttin on make up.. so i was late to my appointment.. after that she had to go.
    kyiahsmommy

Answer by kyiahsmommy at 9:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Nope, but I've had friends in that situation. They helped them get to a local shelter or helped them find their own place, mentioning that their home was feeling too small and very cramped. They also said that they couldn't afford the additional living expenses.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 4:18 AM on Jan. 8, 2011