2-3 month old baby and traveling from texas to california HELP?

my eldest brother is getting married sometime in April
my due date is Feb 14
so depending if she comes early or not give or take 2-3 months old around there
we want to make this trip possible
what is the best and cheapest way to go about this
greyhound , rent a car, hotel
or drive are self's, price of gas, hotel
plane, rent a car, hotel

my little baby girl will still be so young so which is the best for her i want this to be as smooth as possible i know it will be hard but i have a very help full husband andi know the both of us together can succeed doing this trip

so was is your input on how we should go about this trip

katally77

Asked by katally77 at 8:19 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Travel

• I have never done Greyhound so I can not speak to that. But renting a car would be VERY expensive.... I would fly. Start now and look for good deals.
    Anonymous

• Go at his/her nap time or a late night flight
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Do not do the bus, I think that would be hell with a 2-3 month old. It was hell when it was just me and a couple of friends. I took my son from Florida to Missouri when he was 2 months old. We flew up and drove back down. The flight itself was great! He nursed on the way up and then slept through the actual flight. The layover was hard but that was because it was just me and my son. You will have your husband as well so it shouldn't be a problem for you. Driving back took forever because we had to stop every couple of hours to feed him. I think flying would be easiest. If you shop around you can usually find some good deals on flights. GL!!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:28 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Now that I have time I will post a better answer

Are you going to breastfeed? If so get a cover becasue people freak out big time to see that on a plane. I was asked to do it in the tiny restroom when I forgot my cover.
    If you're formula feeding, bring water bottles ahead of time. Tell TSA that it's for the baby and the formula and they will let you keep them. Prepare the dry formula ahead of time in bottles. That way you just have to add the water if she gets hungry.

Bring blankets because it gets cold on the plane. Nap time is the best time to go.

I've done this so many times with babies I'm an expert lol.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• all of this has been alot of help thanks
    katally77

Comment by katally77 (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I've flown with my daughter on 3 separate trips and have never had someone say anything negative while I nursed her while flying. Especially the two times that my husband was with, I sat by the window, so how would anyone know, without just being nosy?

Anyway, I would fly. At that age, most likely the baby will sleep most of the trip anyway. If you're breastfeeding, nurse during take-off and landing/descent to help with the ears popping. My daughter has never seemed to be bothered by her ears on the trips we've taken. Make sure you take your carseat so you have it when you land. I usually bring a carrier of some sort (Moby wrap, sling, etc.) to make connections easier and leaving the stroller at home is one less bulky thing to worry about traveling with. I usually stock the diaper bag with diapers and then buy diapers when I get to my location or our parents will buy them before we get there.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Honestly, you'll save money in the long run doing the driving on your own. Someone will have to sit in the back with your newborn. At that age, they do a LOT of sleeping. It's MUCH MUCH cheaper to drive than fly. It will take longer, but, like I said, you'll end up saving money.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:54 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• take a nightime flight...baby will sleep and you wont have as much worries... My kids have been on planes since the age of 3 months
    batjmom

Answer by batjmom at 1:09 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• If you can afford it, fly. It'll be a lot faster and more convenient. If you are going to drive yourself, that'll be fine. Just make sure you plan for lots of stops. Leave at night, right after a feeding and be patient.
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 11:11 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Because your children are small convenience will be less stressful. Flying is recommended if it's in your budget. If not, then renting a car might be your next best option because the baby will need frequent feedings and diaper changes and the car ride is always soothing and she will be in her own car seat.
    Liveyourlifeval

Answer by Liveyourlifeval at 10:18 AM on Jan. 16, 2011