• In the Spotlight:

How do I keep my toddler in bed?

Bedtime has, in the past month, become very difficult when putting my 28mo son. We do follow a bedtime routine so lack of routine is not the problem. After we lay him down and conclude the bedtime routine, we close his door. He's been getting out of bed, turning on his light and playing. I have tried just putting him back in bed, taking away the toys he uses to stand on to turn on his light, putting the toys that he plays with, up on a shelf, I've even tried yelling. He still gets right back up. What else can I do?

alinker

Asked by alinker at 8:28 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try blocking him in and when he falls asleep remove it.
    My daughter did this for a while and we blocked her from getting out. Took a couple months but she learned to stay in bed when it's bedtime
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I suspect your toddler is telling you, rather loudly, that he's not ready to sleep when you're leaving him there.

Children get younger and younger (less and less mature, I mean) as they grow more tired. This means they typically need more soothing, more security, more comfort and more quiet routine as they get closer to sleep.

The Hollywood idea of walking a child to bed, kissing it briefly on the head and walking out turning the light off as you go is exactly what it appears to be on screen: fiction.

While I'm sure that somewhere on the planet there is a child who can do this, I've never met one and I'm sure they're pretty rare.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My niece was like this. My sister used to lay her down in bed and set a kitchen timer. The first week she would set it to 5 mins and tell her "when this goes off I will come check on you...you have to lay here with your eyes closed until I come in here"....and she reset it every 5 mins until she was asleep...the next week she would set it 8, then 10 and eventually didn't have any problems. She used to put all Maddys toys up except for 1 that was allowed to be tucked into bed and sleep with her. I don't know if this will work for you, but it is something to try! No kid is going to just go in and go to bed, but trying never hurt right?
    COWGIRLinPEARLs

Answer by COWGIRLinPEARLs at 10:07 PM on Jan. 8, 2011