Elective C sections.

Ok so i have had to have 2 c sections not by choice and would never choose one by choice. My first was a emergency c section after 17hours of labor my son was having fetal distress and they lost his heartbeat so they did a emergency c section. My second was suppose to be a vaginal delivery but due to complication at 38weeks and very low fluid levels they needed to take him by c section. This is my third baby and id love a vaginal delivery but they wont allow it becuz of two prior c sections so that is what it is.
Is there anyone out here that Choose to have a C section that was not medically needed? Why did you choose that route?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• An elective c-section is much easier than what you've been through. You go at a set time, it's relaxed. I had to have one for my daughter because she was breech. I elected to have one for my son because I wanted my tubes tied. I also had a great experience with my daughter. I gave birth naturally years before. I loved the 4 days in the hospital. I really bonded with them. I came out nursing really well.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I don't think you get a choice. I think doctors only do when it is necessary. With you having 2 they will probably want to do another one. Talk with your doctor about doing VBAC (vaginal birth after c-secretion) See if you are clear to do it
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• i think you mean having a repeat c-section, since it cannot be considered an elective c-section if there is not an option for a v-bac. but i have had 2 repeat c-sections, and i agree with mompam....it is much easier having a repeat c-section than having an emergency c-section! i had an emergency c-section with baby #1 at 36 weeks because i had severe pre-eclampsia. i was basically going to die and it took quite a while to recover from that because i was recovering from the illness as well as the c-section. with the other 2 they were scheduled for after my due date in case i went into labor (which i didn't even dialate lol.....i don't think my body is good at the getting the baby out part). i wanted to try for a v-bac, but it just didn't happen. it was much quicker recovery and after the third c-section i went home on the second day! i don't know of any doctors who will do a c-section without some sort of reason though
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Yes, we read the question. You did not answer it though.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Why is a VBA2C not an option?
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 9:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Mine was elective, my doctor told me that my son was going to be too big for me to deliver vaginally, so I had a scheduled c-section. And I had the same doctor for my second, and he didn't do VBAC's so I had her for a scheduled c-section also.
    INmommyof1

Answer by INmommyof1 at 10:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• No, I wouldn't choose that. It is too dangerous.

But you don't have to have a cesarean, a VBA2C is another alternative, don't forget about that!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:19 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I had a csection for my 4th and 5th due to complications that occurred during the birth of my 1st three children (vaginal). They said I could try a vaginal, but knowing it might end up in a csection I just went ahead and scheduled it. For me, the recovery from the csections were much easier than recovery from the vaginal deliveries. I had no problems nursing, no problems at all really.

Answer by missanc at 8:19 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I had an elective c-section with my daughter.
    And there are a few reasons. First, my families history with vaginal births and stillborns is very high. Im not sure if its related at all, but it was enough to scare me. also, my daughter never dropped into my hips and they had told me that it would be very difficult to deliver her vaginally. For me, it was the safest way possible. And thats all i cared about. Especially since I watched 3 women close to me, loose their babies late in their pregnancy. I just wanted her out, I didn't care how.
    I went in to have it, my hair nice, my nails painted, my makeup done, and it was a great experience. I had NO pain afterwards, was up walking within 24 hours, and nursing my baby within the first 3.
    I don't feel like I missed out on anything, the "natural" way to give birth. To be honest, i think i could go my whole life without an eight lb baby ripping my vagina from the inside out. No TY.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 12:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• A friend of mine had an elective c-section because she doesn't tolerate pain very well and was scared of a vaginal delivery.
    carolinagirl075

Answer by carolinagirl075 at 12:45 PM on Jan. 8, 2011