How many of you are first, second , or third generation immigrants?

My mother , father, and I came to the United states in the 70's from Haiti. My brother and sister were born here and now we has seven offspring between us three. We are good hard working people. Don't you think other people from other countries deserve the same chance ?especially if they are law abiding and productive to society?

emilysmom1966

Asked by emilysmom1966 at 8:57 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Who is trying to outlaw LEGAL immigration?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:58 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• If they came here illegally then too bad. They should not have come illegally in the first place. Fill out the paperwork, go home and wait for a green card.

Answer by gemgem at 9:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• you said people who are law abiding.....i assumed you meant legal immigrants since if you're not a legal immigrant then you're not law abiding.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:01 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• WHat about the poeple who have been here for decades and can't be legalized for fear of deportation?

They all need to watch this, and then explain why they think they are more special than all those millions of other people

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My Grandparents (both sets) came here legally from Greece- I am second generation and believe in LEGAL immigration. I also agree with keeping your heritage alive at home but learning the language and taking part of all things the US has to offer. I am glad my Grandparents did this- in one generation they produced a judge, a CPA and a Pharmacist. The parts of my extended family that resisted "losing their identity" still have not produced a college graduate or anyone that is self- sufficient. The US is truly the land of opportunity-you need to grab it!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Words to live by on "Our statue of liberty. What ever happened to that?

Still applies-to all who come here legally- we must do what we can to preserve what we have and that includes immigration-I would love for us to have the space and resources for all to come anytime they want or need-but we don't- so we do the best we can.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I do. My father is from Norway, he grew up in WWII Norway and was sent to a special hospital to gain his weight back. They sent him to Sweden. He remembers liking the Americans when he was a boy and always wanted to come here, he liked cowboys. I am his second born here and have his only grandchild to date.
    He survived WWII, my grandfather was killed when he was five during the war.
    But my dad learned english through tv, and comics. He used to say meeces instead of mice because of that old cartoon The Trixie and Dixie show. My Mom corrected him though.
    He passed in April of last year of esaphageal cancer asking for his favoruite soda, but unable to drink it do to the tube in his throat, he could not even talk he had to use a small marker board. They think his health problems started back in Norway.
    My Dad was very proud to be here!
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 9:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• What about the legal American born who break the law everyday! why don't we revoke their status and give it to deserving illeal famillies?

Trade one law breaker for another- how does that make sense? Believe me, there are some criminals I wish we could deport-but where would we send them- who wants someone elses law breakers?

soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• If they want to come here and be law-abiding (which would mean legal immigration), fine. No problem whatsoever with me. However, I'm very much against illegal immigration for many reasons.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:33 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

_______________________________
    Over a hundred and thirty years, that's what. Once upon a time, we could take all the people that wanted to come here. We're fully developed now, and don't have the resources to provide a space and a job for every person that wants to walk through the door. I'm sorry. There have to be rules. People need to follow them.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2011