Teaching your child sign language?

Has any moms learned or is trying to learn sign language so u can also teach your child? I would like to but was wondering if anyone knows and helpful sights or anything? I got a few books but just looking for more resources. I myself do not know but i want to learn and teach my child as i learn. Also my child is just about to turn one, did i start to late?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• no, i started my son when he was around that age. he caught on really quick. we had a baby einsteins dvd and also some books from the library. i concentrated on things that were helpful but he couldn't say clearly. ex. eat, drink, more, thirsty, hungry, animal names and that's about it lol. we both enjoyed it, but i know i will never be good at it lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Now is a good time to start. Do the sign with the word. Simple things like "drink", "love you". We had a lady at my church that did sign. She would often teach for a few minutes after service. If you have someone like that in your church, maybe they would teach you a word or two every week. Check out UTube for online classes. Check out the school district. Surely your area has classes for special needs children. You could sit in and watch.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 9:10 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I taught my son...we learned as we went along. He has speech issues so the therapists taught us signs for every day things. It was very beneficial and he dropped the signs once he could finally say the words. The most useful signs were for the following words: more, milk, eat, drink, please and thank you. Just do them each time the situation presents itself (be consistent with it) and your little one will be signing before you know it. Best of luck!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:10 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I started when my daughter was 4 mths old. You can get My First Signs by Baby Einstein DVD, they sell it at Wal-mart.
    Anonymous

• http://www.lifeprint.com/
    this is the American sign la website u can learn all the signs on line and there are a lot of helpful books out about it as well! we started signing at birth and my dd signed at 5 months! now at 11 months old she can sign "more, all done, bath, milk,diaper change, mom, thank you, home, please.! my debate partner in high school was deaf so he taught me how to sign and ive been signing ever since i love it! the baby Einstein dvd is also great! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• We have books. There are also certified baby sign teachers. Many have classes. The classes are fun. They often do a free workshop every month so you can try out the class.

https://www.babysigns.com/index.cfm?id=4
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:00 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• There are DVD's for sign language for babies. I know sign language myself, as my aunt is deaf. I was so surprised when my son who is hearing and started kindergarten this year is learning sign language. As he is learning the sounds of the alphabet his school is teaching the signs of the alphabet. He knows the whole alphabet now in sign language. Children and babies are quick to learn signs.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 10:16 PM on Jan. 8, 2011