How long will you drink milk

after the expiration date?

genagina

Asked by genagina at 9:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Food & Drink

• My hubby works at a milk plant and is very picky. It would be thrown out the day of expiration if we ever had any last that long. With 3 kids we go through at least 4 gallons a week. The label says its good for 1 week after date but that milk may have been sitting in a trailer for a week before it gets to you, or someone could have forgotten to change the date on the stamp and they sent it out anyways. Yes these things and more really happen.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 10:17 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• It never gets to the expiration date in our house. We go through 5 gallons a week.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• i always smell it regardless of the date.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Until it smells bad. But it rarely gets within even a few days of the expiration date around here.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:12 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• i always go by smell. ive had it go bad days early and ive had it go bad a week past the expiration date. so long as its smells (and tastes) alright, we will drink it.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• The expiration date is usually a 'sell by" date. It should last several days past that. Pour a little in a glass and smell it. If you smell it right from the carton, there will be a little residue inside the opening that will smell. You could be throwing out good milk.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 9:14 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• It is usually good for a few days after the expiration date so we go a few days later but I always smell it to tell if it has gone bad

Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I throw it out on the expiration date...years of working in child care.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• We freeze it, so it lasts longer than it normally would unfrozen past the expiration. We give it how ever many days were left between the date we froze it and the date it's stamped, plus a week. It would go longer than that, but it never lasts that long.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:20 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Drink? Til it smells off - so sometimes I'll stop drinking it before, sometimes I'll drink it a week after. I'll cook with it longer though, or bake - some things are better if the milk is old.
    Anonymous