Does it get any easier?

This past week, I re-entered the work force in full steam. After tomorrow I will have worked 56 hours- not including travel time- and I am emotionally and physically drained. After spending the majority of the past 2 years as a stay at home mom (I say this lightly as I also just graduated with a BA and held a part time, 2 night a week job, so I wasn't home every waking hour ), I am absolutely devastated this week and feel like I've completely neglected my sweet baby.

Now, her daddy has been home with her in the mornings and various family members have watched her for 3-4 hours while Iwe were both at work, but today she spent her very first full 7 hour day at daycare. Since she was 5 months old she had a one-4-hour-day per week at daycare, so this is a HUGE step for me, especially where she'll be spending 2 or 3 of these full days at daycare.. I cried the entire way from my work to her daycare today- almost 40 minutes worth of crying.
I don't know if I can do this. I am very passionate about the work that I do, being an Ed Tech at an academy inside a psychiatric hospital, but my daughter doesn't call for me anymore, she wants her dad. She doesn't get excited to see me, she just wants to play alone. This is NOT her. She is MY girl, we do everything, go everywhere together.
How do you working moms do it? Does is get ANY easier?

LishaBee

Asked by LishaBee at 9:16 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• Is she just 2 and a half? Sounds like it's harder on you than it is her. At a young age, she may be "paying you back" for leaving her during the day. (Animals do that, too) That will stop. I remember the first time I left my oldest daughter in the church nursery so that I could attend service. She cried and screamed for me, I left in tears. I felt bad until after service when I was told she melded right in with the others as soon as I left.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 9:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• yea i think it does, maybe not so much when they are babies but my daughter is 3 and she has been going to the same daycare since i put her in at 1 yr old.. i was terrified to leave her and felt bad.. now i cant wait to drop her off because i know how much fun she has and she is learning.. i do miss her though but you have to have alone time too..
    kyiahsmommy

Answer by kyiahsmommy at 9:24 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Yes, it gets easier. First the being drained, the first week of work is always so hard to me. It is just so very stressful to start a new job, especially if you haven't been doing it in a while.
    And I promise it will also get easier leaving her, though you will always think about her, which is how it should be. PP is right, it is certainly much harder on you than her. You are doing a good job momma. Kids go through stages and it is great that she is learning to play by herself.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:29 PM on Jan. 7, 2011