For all ladies who have two kids??

How far apart are they? And how did you do when you had your second and then wound up with 2? How did you get into a routine? What kinda of routine do you have, I have a 3 y/o son and a 3 week old little girl, I'm still trying to get use to having two and trying to figure out a routine I'm knida freaking out about when I will have to start running errands alone when Hubby goes back to work, any ideas what I can do to prepare myself and what I can do to get into a routine?

mblucky

Asked by mblucky at 9:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• when i had my second one, my first was 2 1/2. it took us about a month to find a routine that worked for us. my older one was still taking a nap so that helped alot too. when i got 3 i invested in a double stroller. that helps alot to go to the mall or out for a walk. if we're just going to the store or somewhere that they have carts i put the older one in the seat in the cart and the baby in their carrier clipped across the end of the cart. with my carseat it fits there perfectly and there is a hook that keeps it secure. i am not sure if every carrier is like that but it sure helps. it was alot easier than i thought it would be going out with multiple kids. gl and don't stress about it too much. just do small things at first and then work your way up to bigger things like grocery shopping.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• We have two children and it works out great. Sometimes the s/o will take care of baby while the 5 yr old goes with me to run erronds. The baby is four months and she is breastfed.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 9:41 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Mine are 15 months apart so routines were pretty much the same for them. They both went to daycare when the little one was 6 weeks old.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• lol yeah well my hubby is in the army and will be in the field for like a week sometimes and all so I know I will have to run to the stores for food and stuff with the kids.. Thats another thing why I'm getting nervous..
    mblucky

Comment by mblucky (original poster) at 9:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• my kids are 17 months apart and at birth my daughter worn a apnea monitor for about a 1 yr. ds is so good with her. they talk to one another in their own way and along as we stay on the routin then things are good
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 9:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• We are an army family too, but my age gap is further apart, 5 1/2 years difference. I drop the older one at school and run errands with the little one, or take both later in the day. When baby was born I made an extra effort to get my oldest involved. Big sister t shirts, bracelet, had her hand me wipes sometimes, whatever she wanted to do to help so she felt important. It helped her not be resentful and now at 8 yrs old loves to help around the house, so a huge bonus there. Also, I feel you on hubby being gone. Mine does a lot of schools, field exercises and deployments. Out of necessity you will find a routine that works and remember to stick with it whether he is home or not. Stability is so important. Don't worry. You can do it :)
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 10:01 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My son was 3 1/2 when my daughter was born. He did great and just wanted to be helpful all of the time. It did take a while to adjust but we were also adjusting to my husband being home after a 6 month deployment too. I was scared to death to leave the house with them both at first but if you "wear" the baby in a sling it will keep hands free for the older one. I bought a double stroller wich didnt last me long but a friend of mine had a sit n stand stroller and it was really nice for having an older child and a baby. After hubby left again a friend of mine and I exchanged child care each week so we could go to the store child free. You will figure it out and after a while you wont give it a thought :)
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:12 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My son is 23 months older than my daughter. It was hard at first, but I eventually got the hang of it. Good luck!
    INmommyof1

Answer by INmommyof1 at 10:25 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• 2 1/2 years
    BeautytheBeast

Answer by BeautytheBeast at 5:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2011