10 months old and concerned.

So I babysit a very close friend's daughter full time. She is now 10 months old and I'm growing very concerned. She refuses tummy time, and has not begun to even try to crawl. She doesn't pull herself up, although she grabs things she wants. She babbles but so far has not tried to say mama or dada. Her biggest accomplishment at this point is shes waving. Shes fussy ALL THE TIME, and throws fits if you aren't holding her. Like constantly.
Now, telling her mom that her child is anything but perfect is not really a possibility. do I have cause to be concern? Should I say something at this point, or wait a little longer?

prettypaper

Asked by prettypaper at 9:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was WALKING at ten months, not taking steps but full blown walking. That just seems crazy to me that she isnt even crawling. Im sure the doctor will address it to the parents if she does not start soon, so there really is no need for you to mention it.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 9:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Yeah, my son was also walking by 10 months. and starting to talk. But thank you :)
    prettypaper

Comment by prettypaper (original poster) at 9:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• my cousins son is 10 months and he is also not crawling and is just now sitting up unsupported! while my dd who is a month older is almost walking (she took 7 steps all by herself tonight) and will say mama and dada and waves and claps! im also worried about my cousins son but she doesnt care at all and im sure the doc will talk to her about it if there is a problem!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• well, it's not the average for children to walk at 10 months (although 2 of mine did, but that is not the norm. normal time is over a year actually). she is refusing tummy time and can't crawl because she's being held too much. since you are babysitting her full time you can get her more independent by not holding her as much and giving her toys, etc. to play with that interest her and she will have more incentive that way.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I do try to let her be independent. I have a two year old of my own, plus two labs so i physically can't hold her all the time. She sits up on her own just fine so i put her on a blanket with a bunch of toys. but the second i put her on her belly, she screams.
    prettypaper

Comment by prettypaper (original poster) at 9:55 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• she will be ok i think.....with my son who started walking later (he never did crawl, just walked on his first birthday lol), i put his favorite toys just out of reach. he figured out a way to get to them. you could encourage her to pull up by putting the toy on the couch and sitting her on side of the couch where she can see it but has to pull up to get it. that worked for my son anyway lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:07 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My daughter was crawling or at least doing the army crawl, but she was slow to walk. She has only really started walking the weekend before Christmas and she's 16 months old. She was going to physical therapy for torticollis and I was talking to her therapist about her not standing, yet, at around 9 months or so. We don't have a coffee table so she suggested taking the cushions off the couch, vacuuming all the crumbs up and then putting a couple toys up there where she can't reach them without standing up. So a day or so later I did and not five minutes after I did that she pulled herself up. So maybe you can try that.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Have you thought about asking her? Maybe bring it up "when is baby's next doc appointment?" and ask her how it went
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:07 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• every baby is different, my son just started crawling at like 10 months....hes a year now and still doesnt walk...my son doesnt wave, so every baby developes differently. if doc was concerened im sure they would mention it
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 9:36 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• My DD didn't crawl until 9 1/2 mos, and DS didn't crawl until 11 months. Just saying...crawling alone isn't a concern. Soley based on the things you've mentioned, *I* would not be concerned.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:13 AM on Jan. 8, 2011