5 yr old upstairs by themself?

We have a 4 bedroom home. Downstairs is ours and DD's. Upstairs is SS (only here every other weekend and Tuesday nights) and a spare.
When the new baby comes (not pregnant yet so probaby a year or so) it will be in our bedroom until @ 6 months then will move to DD's room. At that time, I wonder if she will be ok to move upstairs (she will be 5 then)? Are any of your kids upstairs by themselves?

The other option (we will probably go with) is that all DD's toys go upstairs and only her bed and dresser stay downstairs and she and the baby share a room.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 9:50 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Mine are upstairs, but they always have been. They are almost 3 and 4. I don't know what the adjustment would be like for her, but maybe if you made it out to be some sort of fun adventure she might go right along with it and enjoy it. You might consider making the move before baby gets here to prevent any resentful feelings about "giving up her room."
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 9:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• If your really concerned you could always put a baby monitor in her room.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 9:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• she's 5 move her on up.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 10:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I wouldn't put the 5 yr old with the baby. Not a good idea, think about it. 5 yr. trying to feed the baby.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 10:07 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My kids always had a room downstairs from us. Our room was on the 2nd floor. As soon as the kids were sleeping through the night they went into one of the rooms on the 1st floor. They were 6 months old. We used a baby monitor until the 3rd was about 8 months or something (at the time the older two were almost 2 and 3). It was like that for years.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:41 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I was really more concerned that she wouldn't want to be up there by herself most of the time or if she would even be willing at that age.
    Jademom07

Comment by Jademom07 (original poster) at 9:57 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I would not move SS's room because he needs to know he has a place in your family. A room of his own suggests he is a permanent member of your family. Not a sometimes member. I like that you have a room for him. Especially now that he will have a new sibling. If this were me I would have my two youngest share a room and the extra room as a play room. I don't think I would worry about having a guest room at all. But that is just me.  When guests come a child can always bunk with the parents or another sibling.  I believe a bedroom is for sleeping and relaxation.  So where a child sleeps and who a child sleeps with is not all that important.  Many parents have a child in a bassinet or cradle by their bed for the first few months.  I would probably do that and then move my

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:22 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• two youngest together. Then I would create a play space for both of them that is safe for both ages. You have a lot of time since your youngest won't be crawling yet for a while. You can slowly move all the big kid toys to a higher elevation - high enough for your daughter to reach but not the baby. And the baby's toys within easy reach for a toddler/infant. I would not mind if my child had a bedroom upstairs. Since I believe a room is only for relaxation or sleeping...the only times she would be in there are the times she needs to take a break and relax or if she was sleeping or napping. Maybe some other quiet activity like reading or watching a DVD. No matter what option you pick, it will be the right one that works for you and your family. The good news: no law says you can't change things if you don't like the way you have it.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:26 AM on Jan. 8, 2011