really dry patchy skin

my toddler has always had dry skin since he was just alittle baby nothing seems to help and my dr doesnt seem worried about it. However i feel bad for my kid it has to be itchy. Iv used aveeno lotions and soaps for the bath iv used johnson and johnson soaps and lotions none of which seem to help. Is there a cream or lotion that you moms can recommend that might help. He gets these red patchy spots all over his back and bottom along with his belly and elbows. I just wana find something that will help his dry skin.

Jaxsmommy09

Asked by Jaxsmommy09 at 10:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried Aquaphor Healing Ointment? It's made by Eucerin and is a petroleum type product. I've used it on my girls for 8 years now (a doctor recommended it to me), and on myself when we get really dry. You can use it as often as you want, and for us, it always works.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 10:19 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Sounds more like eczema to me. Eurcerin is a good choice. We keep my grandsons under contol with bathing no more than every other day, aveeno (blue cap) lotion. It is fragrance and dye free and has Dimethicone that forms a barrier. Once in the morning, once at night. For 'hot spots' we use Verdeso foam and Verdeso cream..it is perscription though.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:19 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• i liked cetaphil more than eucerin or aquaphor because it is not greasy and absorbs very quickly. i like the kind in the jar, not the lotion. it worked better than eucerin and aquaphor too
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:25 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Sounds like he has eczema to me. Eurcerin worked great at clearing up my sisters eczema. And on the rare occasion that didn't work cortizone 10 worked.
    Whitesoxcutie

Answer by Whitesoxcutie at 10:25 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• thanks ladies. Iv tried aquaphor but only for diaper rash.
    Jaxsmommy09

Comment by Jaxsmommy09 (original poster) at 10:31 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• It could be eczema or psoriasis. I have psoriasis and it comes in flare ups of sorts.

I use hydrocortizone cream. I'm not sure about using that on a child, but you could ask your doc.
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 2:26 AM on Jan. 8, 2011