Has anyone ever heard of...

My DS is engaged to be married, he is doing pre martial counseling through his church. The church is advising them that they will have to do background checks? I have never heard of this, what could the church be checking? Heck the state doesnt even require blood tesy any longer

Asked by sam223 at 10:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• I have NEVER heard of background checks before may be the church being nosey.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:09 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I think it's a great idea. I think they should have done that on their own before they started getting serious

Answer by admckenzie at 10:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Never heard of such a thing ! I know the Mormons some times have some counseling beforehand if you have any issues to resolve before marriage......but a background check from ANY church???

I think that's a bit much of an invasion of privacy there....ones past should not be so much an issue unless something warrants further investigation.

I can admit I wished to God I had had MY ex checked out before I married!!

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 5:30 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Good idea, I like that approach. How is it wrong in any way? Would save them from getting a divorce later on, if someone has a bad history sexual assault etc.

Answer by sexyfancyface at 10:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• So if he has bad credit they won't marry him?!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:12 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Counseling is a great idea, but not the background check. If you are about to get married, shouldn't you already trust and know the person??

Answer by AntoinetteF at 10:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I am totally confused, I have no idea what the church could possibly want or need a background check for...@ Sexyfancyface marriage counsel will not stop a couple from getting a divorce, marriage is full of turns, you have no way of knowing what is going to happen..

Comment by sam223 (original poster) at 10:16 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• idk....maybe that is their version of the thing you have to sign at the courthouse saying that you have been honest and not married before, blah blah blah. i wonder who is paying for the background check? and if it is a small one or one that would be through the state. because around here you have to have a background check to voulenteer at the school and the state one is for life once you get that done. so if the church would be paying for that i would be thrilled honestly lol

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:19 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Did they ask the church their reason for doing it? Without knowing the reason it is kind of hard to say whether or not it is ridiculous or justified.

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 10:19 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Catholic churches wont marry divorced prople. Is the church catholic?

Answer by 21lisa72 at 10:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2011