How to get a almost 5 yr old to listen.

I want to tear my hair out with my 5 yr old DD. She does not listen. We have tired time outs, putting nose in corner rewards for good behavior, smacking butt, what am I doing wrong and why does she not listen. She is very stubborn. Very bossy, and smart mouthed. I know she cannot act this way and want to nip in butt before she gets too out of hand. I do not know what to do. I need a super nanny HAHA. She can be a good girl when she wants to. My other two have some problems (younger), but do listen for most part. I feel I am a horrible mother with her. ARGH! Faith and ideals needed.

MommyPeck3

Asked by MommyPeck3 at 10:09 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Consistency, consistency, consistency. Don't ask her to do something, TELL her. Do what you say and say what you mean. Do not back down once you find a technique that works for your daughter.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I have the same problem with mine.She will be 5 in February and I am trying to get her straigtened up before she starts kindergarten.Good luck!
    kristylynn

Answer by kristylynn at 12:15 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• You are NOT a horrible mom, just going through the junk like the rest of us! Ok, have some chocolate and realize that you are human. Of my four children, two were like this. My youngest, the worse. I found that nothing worked that had with the others. I had to get a brand new playbook. What I did was create a responsibility chart just for him in which everything he could do to earn a point was put on, from brushing his teeth to listening to helping when I asked. When he had a good day, he always got a reward. I confronted him on the bad behavior, but didn't harp on it. The good behavior was reacted to like a freakin' parade at Disney! But it works, thank heavens. He is still the strongest willed of all my children and does things his own way, but what fantastic traits to have later on as long as he's kept on the right path!! Good luck and stock up on chocolate and bubble bath to help get u through!
    derosia_mama

Answer by derosia_mama at 8:02 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Thanks ladies. I needed that. My oldest def. make me want to tear out my hair. Last night we went to eat and they were pretty much well behave till right when we were leaving, but not horrible. We should have came home, but we chanced wally world to go get a container so I can put all my christmas stuff away. I had my almost 2 year old in cart, straped in front and oldest was walking around with me holding to cart. She once climbed on side of cart and I told her no, she cannot do that. Well a little later I turn my back for not long to look at something and next thing I know is the cart was turning to its side, with oldest under it and youngest hitting side of head on cement floor. Both are fine. Thank goodness. The clerks came running, they call management. How embarrassing, if the oldest would just listen to me! Argh.
    MommyPeck3

Comment by MommyPeck3 (original poster) at 9:52 AM on Jan. 8, 2011