Does it annoy you when...

Other people say loudly within your hearing, "My kids NEVER acted like that in public." or some variation of this.

Here's my thing my DS isn't usually doing something bad when they say that, just acting like a 3yo. When he does start to act up and won't listen we leave, so I get super annoyed when someone says that to me.

myree85

Asked by myree85 at 10:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• When I became exasperated with my children I would ask them rather loudly, " Why do you act like a 3 ,10, or 13 year old. {depending on their age} It would bring me to the joyous conclusion, I have allowed them to act age appropriate. For children who do not act like children I must assume they are in some way being abused. Someone has scared them. That is the only reason a child will not act like a child. Proudly reply " My children act their ages because no one has attempted to make them feel being a child is a bad thing to be!!!
    Keep up the good work !
    KISS1224

Answer by KISS1224 at 11:10 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• No one is perfect. You do what you can to show how acting up isn't acceptable but some days they are tired and not ready to learn right from wrong.
    staciepi

Answer by staciepi at 11:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I get annoyed when people make "under their breath" comments that aren't so under their breath. If I'm with my husband, he's so blunt and outspoken, he will say something directly to them.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 11:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Yeah people are so judgmental.. I would just say " sorry my 3 year old isn't as well behaved as YOUR 3 year old" Loud enough for their hearing! chances are they don't have one at Age anymore..and if they do they obviously don't remember.
    staciepi

Answer by staciepi at 11:07 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Be blunt right back look them dead in the eye and say..... Really you must tell me all of your secrets and show me the rewards for having the only children who never misbehaved! If you have a notebook in your purse be sure to whip that out too!
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:07 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Every child has thrown some kind of fit in public. The thing that annoys me is when the parent is obviously not trying to correct the child or keep them from screaming. If the parent is trying then thats all they can do sometimes. I did however experiance two different children who were acting badly at the hospital today. One boy was crawling under all the chairs in the waiting room (like the one I was sitting in!) and screaming, he was just acting terrible and he wasn't even the sick one, it was his sister! The mother just let him do whatever he wanted. The next was was just a toddler but he came up and started digging in my purse, his mom was right there and didn't do anything about it, I had to tell him to stop. He then proceeded to take my daughters video game and I had to take that from him and he was taking another babies bottle. I guess it really is the parents who were acting badly and not the kids!!!!
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 11:14 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I don't tend to get annoyed at kids, which is why I have them :). A kid being a bit loud in public just doesn't irritate me, for well, they are KIDS. I also teach 1st grade, so I guess I have a higher tolerance, lol. I have a 4 yo who is very good in public, but once in a while she may just be in a hyper mood. I remind her to keep her voice down. If I hear another's child being a bit loud, it just does not bug me. There are more pressing issues in the world.

Anonymous

• Anything said under their breath that is directed towards me irritates me. If you can't say it to my face and have the balls to confront me, then don't say it at all. That's just it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:06 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I don't like that, but I don't have a problem saying something rude back. I usually have pretty adequate ammo against any person that says something nasty. Everyone has something that someone could pick at. It's easy to tell someone you could do better or are better when you aren't in their situation. I find that most people that get mouthy like that in public don't have much to say after you say something back because they are hoping they either won't be heard or won't get called out on it. One return comment and they usually learn to shut their mouths...I just have to censor things if my son is in earshot.
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 1:16 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• see that's the thing a toddler can already be looked as a bad infulance.... really and why cause they have personality and love to explore there childhood... yeah there are limits and you don't let your child run your life.. it really does annoy me when someone thinks there parenting is better then yours.... i'm sorry no ones parenting is any better then the next all we do is try our best and go from there...
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 1:21 AM on Jan. 8, 2011